IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
SPARTANS!! TONIGHT WE DINE IN HELL!!!!!!
DaMook
post Mar 8 2007, 01:17 PM
Post #1

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Damn it I can't wait for this flick! I'm ready to punch someone!

Who's going????????

--------------------
The Mook Theorem
Higher OBP = More chances to score runs = More runs will score.

"What is an error? It is, without exception, the only major statistic in sports which is a
record of what an observer thinks should have been accomplished." - Bill James

At Baseball Prospectus, we often reiterate the point that RBIs are an inferior
measure of production, because they are more closely tied to lineup context than hitting skill.

I trust algorithms. Trillions of dollars are invested based on them. Nuclear bombs are tested through them. They can choose a freaking lineup. - ils4O1
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
5 Aggregates
post Mar 8 2007, 01:21 PM
Post #2

Hall of Famer
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 284

Dine in Hell? I've heard mixed reviews of Hell's Kitchen.

The promos for 300 look like a testosterone festival, but it looks like in may be cinematically interesting.

Not anxious to see it myself, would be interested to read a review from anyone on this site, though.

--------------------
To the extent that we have learned to grasp and identify with this limited life, we suffer. It's that simple. - Kornfield

+Quote Post
imdave0182
post Mar 8 2007, 01:47 PM
Post #3

Hall of Famer
Group Icon

Member No.: 347

Do I wanna see 300 or Zodiac? Hmmm... Time will tell.

+Quote Post
Tool34
post Mar 8 2007, 01:54 PM
Post #4

Superstar
Group Icon

Member No.: 105

my floor's been raving about 300 since the trailer debuted back in october. We're taking a 15 man field trip in 2 cars.....even though everyone already knows how te movie ends.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
DaMook
post Mar 8 2007, 01:56 PM
Post #5

Admin
Group Icon

QUOTE(imdave0182 @ Mar 8 2007, 01:47 PM) [snapback]353830[/snapback]

Do I wanna see 300 or Zodiac? Hmmm... Time will tell.

Both.

--------------------
The Mook Theorem

"What is an error? It is, without exception, the only major statistic in sports which is a

measure of production, because they are more closely tied to lineup context than hitting skill.

I trust algorithms. Trillions of dollars are invested based on them. Nuclear bombs are tested through them. They can choose a freaking lineup. - ils4O1

+Quote Post
Truefan79
post Mar 8 2007, 04:57 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

Group: Mods
Member No.: 52

I am going to see it, I am pumped!

--------------------
People ask me what I do in winter when there’s no baseball. I’ll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring.

- Rogers Hornsby

Trading specs for Santana would be a disaster, just ask the Twins.

-mvr 7/2/12

+Quote Post
rossie6782
post Mar 10 2007, 11:11 AM
Post #7

Hall of Famer
Group Icon

Member No.: 190

Eh
Not as good as it should have been

--------------------
Scott

Scars are souvenirs you never lose
The past is never far
Did you lose yourself somewhere out there
Did you get to be a star
And don't it make you sad to know that life
Is more than who we are

RIP "Freddy Coupon."

+Quote Post
imdave0182
post Mar 10 2007, 03:17 PM
Post #8

Hall of Famer
Group Icon

Now those are real men. Good movie. Certainly not on the level of Gladiator but still enjoyable.

+Quote Post
ils4O1
post Mar 10 2007, 03:44 PM
Post #9

Hall of Famer
Group Icon

Group: Validated Members
Member No.: 281

Not as good as Gladiator, but 10x harder.

+Quote Post
gak29
post Mar 10 2007, 09:54 PM
Post #10

Legend
Group Icon

Member No.: 47

I've yet to see this, but i have to. My guess is my family was Spartan in Ancient times.

--------------------
IPB Image
LET'S GO MARIST!!!!
YGB07!!!!

+Quote Post
DaMook
post Mar 11 2007, 08:44 AM
Post #11

Admin
Group Icon

I absolutely loved it. Great flick. I dont see why you guys are comparing it to Gladiator though, two totally different movies.

--------------------
The Mook Theorem

+Quote Post
imdave0182
post Mar 11 2007, 04:40 PM
Post #12

Hall of Famer
Group Icon

QUOTE(DaMook @ Mar 11 2007, 08:44 AM) [snapback]354073[/snapback]

I absolutely loved it. Great flick. I dont see why you guys are comparing it to Gladiator though, two totally different movies.

I found it to be somewhat similar. And someone mentioned to me that 300 was better than Gladiatior. I disagree.

+Quote Post
metswonin69
post Mar 11 2007, 06:18 PM
Post #13

Superstar
Group Icon

Member No.: 274

I didn't think this movie was that great, it had some pretty good battle scenes, but it had the WORST story I had ever seen in a movie besides Napolean Dynomite.

--------------------
I may be stupid, but at least I'm not a Yankees fan!

+Quote Post
DaMook
post Mar 11 2007, 06:47 PM
Post #14

Admin
Group Icon

QUOTE(metswonin69 @ Mar 11 2007, 07:18 PM) [snapback]354095[/snapback]

I didn't think this movie was that great, it had some pretty good battle scenes, but it had the WORST story I had ever seen in a movie besides Napolean Dynomite.

Napolean Dynamite was a great flick. The great story wasn't an obvious one.

As for 300, it was strongly based on actual history. 300 Spartans held off a massive persian army for days, how is that not a compelling story?

--------------------
The Mook Theorem

+Quote Post
DaMook
post Mar 11 2007, 06:53 PM
Post #15

Admin
Group Icon

QUOTE(imdave0182 @ Mar 11 2007, 05:40 PM) [snapback]354092[/snapback]

I found it to be somewhat similar. And someone mentioned to me that 300 was better than Gladiatior. I disagree.

Well they both had strong half nude men killing each other with swords so I guess they are similar in that sense but in terms of story then aren't at all.

--------------------
The Mook Theorem

+Quote Post
Cactus
post Mar 12 2007, 10:27 AM
Post #16

Admin
Group Icon

Member No.: 159

QUOTE(DaMook @ Mar 11 2007, 07:47 PM) [snapback]354097[/snapback]

Napolean Dynamite was a great flick. The great story wasn't an obvious one.

And that of course was Uncle Rico's football comeback. What an arm on that guy.

--------------------
'-|-'

- "Mr. Jeff Wilpon has decided that he’s going to learn how to run a baseball team and take over at the end of the year… Run for the hills, boys. I think probably all those baseball people will bail… Jeff sits there by himself like he’s King Tut waiting for his camel.” - Nelson Doubleday
- "In today's regulatory environment, it's virtually impossible to violate rules." - Bernard Madoff, 10/20/07
The Washington Post decided not to cover Ralph Nader's presidential campaign because he had no chance of winning. Nader's response: "Then why are you covering the Nationals?"
- Asked by the Post about the younger Wilpon's job performance, Fred Wilpon said: "Excellent. Everybody knows ...that."
- "The word 'autonomy' is sometimes misused." - Jeff Wilpon
- "Let’s give Jeff Wilpon the benefit of the doubt here for a moment. Let’s say he is not short-tempered. Tone deaf. A credit seeker. An accountability deflector. A micro-manager. A second-guesser. A less-than-deep thinker. And bad at self-awareness. Fine, he’s none of these things. But here is the problem: This is his perception in the industry." - Joel Sherman
- “Jeff is the problem with the organization, and he is never going to realize that. He cannot help himself. He has to be involved. He will never hire anyone who will not let him have major input. He will not hire anyone who does not run every personnel decision through him.” - Anonymous NL Executive
- "The only person with a worse reputation than Jeff Wilpon in the game is David Samson." - Anonymous AL executive
- "[Mets GM Omar Minaya] isn’t the General Manager. Jeff Wilpon is. Omar’s the one out there to take the heat.” - Peter Gammons
- [Jeff Wilpon's] role in management, according to one official who worked for him, "is to act as president and CEO of second-guessing."
- "I always want Mets fans on my juries," said one noted defense attorney friend, a rabid Yankees fan. "They love losers, even three-time losers like some of my clients. And if Mets fans believe anything the Mets front office says, I can convince them to acquit anybody." - Denis Hamill
- I got a call the other day. They noted I had been a long term season ticket holder and asked if I was interested. I immediately exclaimed "I'm so sorry for the Wilpon Family". He asked what I meant. I told the guy if he looked in my file, he'd see a note to call me after both Fred and Jeff dropped dead, and not a day before. - Meanballer

+Quote Post
ils4O1
post Mar 12 2007, 02:38 PM
Post #17

Hall of Famer
Group Icon

Member No.: 281

QUOTE(metswonin69 @ Mar 11 2007, 07:18 PM) [snapback]354095[/snapback]

I don't think the story was interesting in either movie, it's the way the story was told that made each movie good.

+Quote Post
rossie6782
post Mar 12 2007, 03:12 PM
Post #18

Hall of Famer
Group Icon

Member No.: 190

am I the only one who found the history channels presentation of this event more insightful and interesting then the movie?

I'm not going to overkill the movie, it was still good, but it certainly could have been a ton better and I was excepting more from it.

Still worth the money.

--------------------
Scott

Scars are souvenirs you never lose
The past is never far
Did you lose yourself somewhere out there
Did you get to be a star
And don't it make you sad to know that life
Is more than who we are

RIP "Freddy Coupon."

+Quote Post
BreakingBnj
post Mar 12 2007, 09:19 PM
Post #19

Minor Leaguer
Group Icon

Member No.: 690

IPB Image

--------------------
www.myspace.com/Chapter27Music

+Quote Post
B P
post Mar 13 2007, 08:18 AM
Post #20

Legend
Group Icon

Member No.: 131

QUOTE(BreakingBnj @ Mar 12 2007, 10:19 PM) [snapback]354206[/snapback]
IPB Image

LMAO!

--------------------

The Best of the Best At What They Do

Billy Joel ~ And remember, don't take any **** from anyone!

Check out my blog: http://metstats.wordpress.com
Check out my Amazon store for books and video and other items: www.amazon.com/shops/mr_pavlov

+Quote Post
B P
post Mar 13 2007, 08:22 AM
Post #21

Legend
Group Icon

Member No.: 131

Saw this movie last night. The movie touched me. It really did. I mean I left the theater feeling like I want to fight in the army. Then I realized it's the 21st century. Any movie that can get me thinking about that though has to be pretty damn good. Those Spartans were some really kick ass people. As for those Pursians, well all I can say is that that king of theirs was a bit too out there. The lesbian orgy he had though was pretty awesome.

--------------------

The Best of the Best At What They Do

Billy Joel ~ And remember, don't take any **** from anyone!

Check out my blog: http://metstats.wordpress.com
Check out my Amazon store for books and video and other items: www.amazon.com/shops/mr_pavlov

+Quote Post
DaMook
post Mar 13 2007, 08:22 AM
Post #22

Admin
Group Icon

QUOTE(BreakingBnj @ Mar 12 2007, 10:19 PM) [snapback]354206[/snapback]

IPB Image

ROFL! That's so great.

--------------------
The Mook Theorem

+Quote Post
Metsfan980
post Mar 17 2007, 09:14 PM
Post #23

President-Victor Zambrano Fan Club
Group Icon

Member No.: 8

Saw this movie with a bunch of friends tonight. It was pretty enjoyable (although I agree that it wasn't very educational, and it certainly could have been better). I love the way it was presented, and I agree that it's worth seeing. P.S. one of my friends on leaving the theater shouted the big line quite loud and got everybody's attention... I've never been so embarrassed to be his friend lol.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mediumpimpin
post Apr 30 2007, 01:55 AM
Post #24

Rookie
Group Icon

Member No.: 770

bad movie.
disappointed

+Quote Post
Cactus
post Dec 27 2007, 10:59 PM
Post #25

Admin
Group Icon

saw this on hd dvd yesterday. enjoyed it a lot.

--------------------
'-|-'

- "Mr. Jeff Wilpon has decided that he’s going to learn how to run a baseball team and take over at the end of the year… Run for the hills, boys. I think probably all those baseball people will bail… Jeff sits there by himself like he’s King Tut waiting for his camel.” - Nelson Doubleday
- "In today's regulatory environment, it's virtually impossible to violate rules." - Bernard Madoff, 10/20/07
The Washington Post decided not to cover Ralph Nader's presidential campaign because he had no chance of winning. Nader's response: "Then why are you covering the Nationals?"
- Asked by the Post about the younger Wilpon's job performance, Fred Wilpon said: "Excellent. Everybody knows ...that."
- "Let’s give Jeff Wilpon the benefit of the doubt here for a moment. Let’s say he is not short-tempered. Tone deaf. A credit seeker. An accountability deflector. A micro-manager. A second-guesser. A less-than-deep thinker. And bad at self-awareness. Fine, he’s none of these things. But here is the problem: This is his perception in the industry." - Joel Sherman
- “Jeff is the problem with the organization, and he is never going to realize that. He cannot help himself. He has to be involved. He will never hire anyone who will not let him have major input. He will not hire anyone who does not run every personnel decision through him.” - Anonymous NL Executive
- "The only person with a worse reputation than Jeff Wilpon in the game is David Samson." - Anonymous AL executive
- "[Mets GM Omar Minaya] isn’t the General Manager. Jeff Wilpon is. Omar’s the one out there to take the heat.” - Peter Gammons
- [Jeff Wilpon's] role in management, according to one official who worked for him, "is to act as president and CEO of second-guessing."
- "I always want Mets fans on my juries," said one noted defense attorney friend, a rabid Yankees fan. "They love losers, even three-time losers like some of my clients. And if Mets fans believe anything the Mets front office says, I can convince them to acquit anybody." - Denis Hamill
- I got a call the other day. They noted I had been a long term season ticket holder and asked if I was interested. I immediately exclaimed "I'm so sorry for the Wilpon Family". He asked what I meant. I told the guy if he looked in my file, he'd see a note to call me after both Fred and Jeff dropped dead, and not a day before. - Meanballer

+Quote Post
Metsfan980
post Dec 27 2007, 11:03 PM
Post #26

Group Icon

QUOTE(Cactus @ Dec 27 2007, 10:59 PM) [snapback]388836[/snapback]

saw this on hd dvd yesterday. enjoyed it a lot.

You just saw it?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cactus
post Dec 27 2007, 11:12 PM
Post #27

Admin
Group Icon

yea, when do i have time to watch movies?

--------------------
'-|-'

+Quote Post
Metsfan980
post Dec 27 2007, 11:26 PM
Post #28

Group Icon

QUOTE(Cactus @ Dec 27 2007, 11:12 PM) [snapback]388839[/snapback]

yea, when do i have time to watch movies?

I don't know... it's just weird that it took a man this long to see 300!

happy.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
younghem
post Dec 28 2007, 10:09 AM
Post #29

Group Icon

Group: Mods
Member No.: 210

QUOTE(Metsfan980 @ Dec 27 2007, 11:26 PM) [snapback]388844[/snapback]

I don't know... it's just weird that it took a man this long to see 300!
happy.gif

Cactus is a man ?!? ohmy.gif

I learn something new every day on this board.

happy.gif

+Quote Post
Cactus
post Dec 28 2007, 04:51 PM
Post #30

Admin
Group Icon

burn

--------------------
'-|-'

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th September 2014 - 02:33 PM