No Country For Old Men
DaMook
post Nov 12 2007, 05:28 PM
Post #1

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Absolutley amazing. If you like the Coen Brothers then stop reading this and go see it.

--------------------
The Mook Theorem
Higher OBP = More chances to score runs = More runs will score.

"What is an error? It is, without exception, the only major statistic in sports which is a
record of what an observer thinks should have been accomplished." - Bill James

At Baseball Prospectus, we often reiterate the point that RBIs are an inferior
measure of production, because they are more closely tied to lineup context than hitting skill.

I trust algorithms. Trillions of dollars are invested based on them. Nuclear bombs are tested through them. They can choose a freaking lineup. - ils4O1
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
younghem
post Nov 15 2007, 10:37 AM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Mods
Member No.: 210

Been looking for this movie in local theatres, but I don't think it comes out to next wednesday. Movies always get released early in NYC. Gonna catch this one when it comes out.

+Quote Post
Metsfan980
post Dec 18 2007, 11:59 AM
Post #3

President-Victor Zambrano Fan Club
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 8

I thought it was a pretty good movie, but I'm not going to say it was great.

The main character was way too intelligent to take that long to find a tracking device and Woody Harrelson's character kind of ruined the movie for me (how did he know to look over the bridge at that exact spot?!).

Good movie, and I liked the ending a lot... but it was nothing more than a "let's watch a movie" movie for me.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ils4O1
post Dec 18 2007, 12:12 PM
Post #4

Hall of Famer
Group Icon

Group: Validated Members
Member No.: 281

QUOTE(Metsfan980 @ Dec 18 2007, 11:59 AM) [snapback]388004[/snapback]

I thought it was a pretty good movie, but I'm not going to say it was great.

The main character was way too intelligent to take that long to find a tracking device and Woody Harrelson's character kind of ruined the movie for me (how did he know to look over the bridge at that exact spot?!).

Good movie, and I liked the ending a lot... but it was nothing more than a "let's watch a movie" movie for me.

Woody Harrelson's character didn't know to look over the bridge at the exact spot. They showed him looking at the wrong spot first. Then moving to the next spot before eventually finding it.

I thought it was awesome. Anton Sigurh was one of the most terrifying people ever in a movie.

+Quote Post
Metsfan980
post Dec 18 2007, 02:16 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

QUOTE(ils4O1 @ Dec 18 2007, 12:12 PM) [snapback]388006[/snapback]

Woody Harrelson's character didn't know to look over the bridge at the exact spot. They showed him looking at the wrong spot first. Then moving to the next spot before eventually finding it.

I thought it was awesome. Anton Sigurh was one of the most terrifying people ever in a movie.

I remember that, but I still don't buy that he'd know to look at the bridge.

How did he even know to look in the hospital for the main character?

And yes, I agree. Anton Sigurh is one of the creepiest characters ever. I don't know if it was his voice, his hairdo, his crazy silenced shotgun that, or his attitude... either way, he was awesome.

--------------------

+Quote Post
DaMook
post Dec 18 2007, 02:23 PM
Post #6

Admin
Group Icon

QUOTE(Metsfan980 @ Dec 18 2007, 02:16 PM) [snapback]388016[/snapback]

I remember that, but I still don't buy that he'd know to look at the bridge.

How did he even know to look in the hospital for the main character?

Cause he's a bad ass. He use to be a Colonel.

--------------------
The Mook Theorem

"What is an error? It is, without exception, the only major statistic in sports which is a

measure of production, because they are more closely tied to lineup context than hitting skill.

I trust algorithms. Trillions of dollars are invested based on them. Nuclear bombs are tested through them. They can choose a freaking lineup. - ils4O1

+Quote Post
Metsfan980
post Dec 18 2007, 02:28 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

QUOTE(DaMook @ Dec 18 2007, 02:23 PM) [snapback]388020[/snapback]

Cause he's a bad ass. He use to be a Colonel.

Somehow I don't think that being a bad ass means that you also have psychic abilities...

The more I think about it though, the more I think I liked this movie.

I went with three people, one liked it and the other two were moaning and groaning in the theater by the time the main character went back to give the guy water...

Maybe that damaged my opinion of this one smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
DaMook
post Dec 18 2007, 03:39 PM
Post #8

Admin
Group Icon

QUOTE(Metsfan980 @ Dec 18 2007, 02:28 PM) [snapback]388025[/snapback]

Somehow I don't think that being a bad ass means that you also have psychic abilities...

The more I think about it though, the more I think I liked this movie.

I went with three people, one liked it and the other two were moaning and groaning in the theater by the time the main character went back to give the guy water...

Maybe that damaged my opinion of this one smile.gif

It wasn't psychic abilities thought, it was just smarts. He knew if it were him, he would have throw the case over as well.

I went to see this flick with a couple that hated it. They don't get flicks like this, they prefer movies like The Fast and the Furious. The first thing they said to me after the movie ended was, "That's the last time you pick a movie." Too bad for them.

--------------------
The Mook Theorem

+Quote Post
Metsfan980
post Dec 18 2007, 04:08 PM
Post #9

Group Icon

QUOTE(DaMook @ Dec 18 2007, 03:39 PM) [snapback]388047[/snapback]

It wasn't psychic abilities thought, it was just smarts. He knew if it were him, he would have throw the case over as well.

I went to see this flick with a couple that hated it. They don't get flicks like this, they prefer movies like The Fast and the Furious. The first thing they said to me after the movie ended was, "That's the last time you pick a movie." Too bad for them.

It's funny that you say that, because the one friend that I went with who really complained about this movie loves both of the Fast and the Furious movies... he owns both on DVD too!

blink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
DaMook
post Dec 18 2007, 08:37 PM
Post #10

Admin
Group Icon

Haha! I feel sorry for him.

--------------------
The Mook Theorem

+Quote Post
Dbonezny
post Mar 21 2008, 04:17 PM
Post #11

Veteran
Group Icon

Member No.: 485

This movie was AMAZING to say the least.

--------------------

+Quote Post
metswonin69
post Apr 1 2008, 10:36 PM
Post #12

Superstar
Group Icon

Member No.: 274

It was a pretty good movie, and I loved the villian. The only problem is that I tend to like movies with real endings.

--------------------
I may be stupid, but at least I'm not a Yankees fan!

+Quote Post
Metsfan980
post Apr 1 2008, 10:42 PM
Post #13

Group Icon

QUOTE(metswonin69 @ Apr 1 2008, 11:36 PM) [snapback]397879[/snapback]

It was a pretty good movie, and I loved the villian. The only problem is that I tend to like movies with real endings.

You know...

I'm reading the book and I'm at the part where he crosses the border (it's a quick read but I have a crap load of school work).

The end of the movie (if it is the same as the book) is about as perfect as it can be.

Throughout the story Bell tells the story of his life in this business, the end is perfect.

I've seen the movie three times also, so I've come to really appreciate the ending.

--------------------

+Quote Post
B P
post Apr 2 2008, 12:03 AM
Post #14

Legend
Group Icon

Member No.: 131

Science damn this movie. Why in the world would I pay to see a movie about chance, life decisions, and human cruelty. I just don't get how it can go from The Departed to No Country For Old Men in one year. This just had no story. And even the main character got very little time in the film. Honestly, all they had to do was make Tommy Lee Jones the killer using that coin in order to kill people. At least that would have brought back memories.

On a side note, them southerners talk weird. Very weird. I spent a quarter of the movie trying to understand what the hell they were saying. What a freaking waste.

The friend who gave me this movie, also passed along There Will Be No Blood. And based on reviews online, it's getting compared to NCFOM. How true is this? Is There Will Be No Blood similar in some ways or much better? As someone who hated NCFOM, will I even like There Will Be No Blood?

And no I don't like movies like The Fast and The Furious. This movie did not do it for me at all. It's not even the fact that the movie didn't have a real ending. I've seen movies with open endings which I've enjoyed. Overall I just felt like I was watching waiting for something exciting to develop the entire movie, and nothing happens at all. Bad guy gets away. Cop calls it quits. Yea yea, give me something I should give a damn about. Crap like that happens every day.

--------------------

The Best of the Best At What They Do

Billy Joel ~ And remember, don't take any **** from anyone!

Check out my blog: http://metstats.wordpress.com
Check out my Amazon store for books and video and other items: www.amazon.com/shops/mr_pavlov

+Quote Post
Metsfan980
post Apr 2 2008, 12:11 AM
Post #15

Group Icon

"This just had no story."

Or three smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
B P
post Apr 2 2008, 12:47 AM
Post #16

Legend
Group Icon

Member No.: 131

QUOTE(Metsfan980 @ Apr 2 2008, 01:11 AM) [snapback]397894[/snapback]

"This just had no story."

Or three smile.gif

yea sorry all those different characters meeting up at one point or another in the movie did not do it for me. i saw that in Crash. it was done brilliantly in that movie. the exact opposite in ncfom.

--------------------

The Best of the Best At What They Do

Billy Joel ~ And remember, don't take any **** from anyone!

Check out my blog: http://metstats.wordpress.com
Check out my Amazon store for books and video and other items: www.amazon.com/shops/mr_pavlov

+Quote Post
metswonin69
post Apr 7 2008, 04:34 PM
Post #17

Superstar
Group Icon

Member No.: 274

QUOTE (B P @ Apr 2 2008, 12:03 AM) *
On a side note, them southerners talk weird. Very weird. I spent a quarter of the movie trying to understand what the hell they were saying. What a freaking waste.

Luckily I go to college in the South, and I went to the movies with some of my Southern friends, so I had translators with me! biggrin.gif

--------------------
I may be stupid, but at least I'm not a Yankees fan!

+Quote Post
DaMook
post Apr 7 2008, 11:02 PM
Post #18

Admin
Group Icon

QUOTE (B P @ Apr 2 2008, 01:03 AM) *
Science damn this movie. Why in the world would I pay to see a movie about chance, life decisions, and human cruelty. I just don't get how it can go from The Departed to No Country For Old Men in one year. This just had no story. And even the main character got very little time in the film. Honestly, all they had to do was make Tommy Lee Jones the killer using that coin in order to kill people. At least that would have brought back memories.

The friend who gave me this movie, also passed along There Will Be No Blood. And based on reviews online, it's getting compared to NCFOM. How true is this? Is There Will Be No Blood similar in some ways or much better? As someone who hated NCFOM, will I even like There Will Be No Blood?

And no I don't like movies like The Fast and The Furious. This movie did not do it for me at all. It's not even the fact that the movie didn't have a real ending. I've seen movies with open endings which I've enjoyed. Overall I just felt like I was watching waiting for something exciting to develop the entire movie, and nothing happens at all. Bad guy gets away. Cop calls it quits. Yea yea, give me something I should give a damn about. Crap like that happens every day.

The movie had no story? Are you serious man? Are you sure you watched the right movie? No Country For Old Men is probably the best movie of the year and one of the best movies of the last 20 years. It was f-ing brilliant to say the least. Some people just don't get it I guess. I dunno.

--------------------
The Mook Theorem

+Quote Post
Metsfan980
post Apr 7 2008, 11:07 PM
Post #19

Group Icon

QUOTE (DaMook @ Apr 8 2008, 12:02 AM) *
The movie had no story? Are you serious man? Are you sure you watched the right movie? No Country For Old Men is probably the best movie of the year and one of the best movies of the last 20 years. It was f-ing brilliant to say the least. Some people just don't get it I guess. I dunno.

You should read the book. It was very similar, but better.

--------------------

+Quote Post
stevenest
post Jun 15 2011, 02:59 AM
Post #20

Little Leaguer
Group Icon

Member No.: 8,879

Its one of the best movies I have ever seen.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th October 2014 - 10:09 AM