IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Reyes Would Have Stayed For Less and For Shorter, Wilpon Didn't Want Him At ANY Price
MeanBaller
post Mar 8 2012, 01:01 PM
Post #1

Superstar
Group Icon

Group: Validated Members
Member No.: 684

Miami Marlins' Jose Reyes would have returned to NY Mets for less money, source says
All-Star shortstop could still be in New York, but offer never surfaced
By Andy Martino / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Jose Reyes is all smiles in Miami after signing a big free agent contract this winter.

When Marlins president David Samson said Tuesday that Jose Reyes was after every dollar in free agency, it seemed to contradict the shortstop’s December complaint that the Mets “didn’t want me.”

"He said, ‘I really want to play in Miami as long as you pay me $1 more than anyone else," Samson said. "'I really want to make the most money I can.'"

But people close to Reyes have insisted that was not the case.

According to sources, Reyes would have strongly considered a somewhat smaller deal from the Mets, both in years and dollars, and was shocked when his longtime team did not make an offer.

Reyes signed a six-year, $106 million deal with Miami, and would have seriously entertained returning to the Mets on a five-year deal, sources say.

Of course, there is no way to prove a hypothetical — and anyway, one Mets insider said that some members of the front office were unwilling to guarantee more than four years.

And the take away from this article is that if Reyes said he would have considered a four year deal, "members of the front office" would have only be willing to guarantee three years.

The truth is, they wanted to spend the league minimum on the SS position rather than an 8 figure salary. Period.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
younghem
post Mar 8 2012, 04:48 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Mods
Member No.: 210

QUOTE (MeanBaller @ Mar 8 2012, 01:01 PM) *
The truth is, they wanted to spend the league minimum on the SS position rather than an 8 figure salary. Period.

On a homegrown uber-talented short stop who just won the batting title......

Not signing A-Rod or Vlad are one thing, this was totally different.

A slap in the face of Reyes as well as Mets fans.

Just remember, Fred says it was a baseball decision.

What team needs a short stop who steals 30 bases, plays good defense and wins batting titles....not this New York franchise!

Just despicable.

+Quote Post
RayL
post Mar 8 2012, 06:07 PM
Post #3

Veteran
Group Icon

Member No.: 107

I still check the box score and I'll still watch a few games on SNY, but as a fan who used to bring my kids to 8-9 games a year.......ain't gonna happen.

+Quote Post
Batman Forever
post Mar 8 2012, 07:08 PM
Post #4

Rookie
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,680

QUOTE (MeanBaller @ Mar 8 2012, 02:01 PM) *
And the take away from this article is that if Reyes said he would have considered a four year deal, "members of the front office" would have only be willing to guarantee three years.

Or the story in the miami paper was true and this one in the Daily Rag is false.

We will never know.

+Quote Post
younghem
post Mar 8 2012, 07:38 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

J
QUOTE (Batman Forever @ Mar 8 2012, 07:08 PM) *
Or the story in the miami paper was true and this one in the Daily Rag is false.

We will never know.

Either way I'm happy for Reyes. He'll actually have a chance to win with the Marlins.

+Quote Post
Batman Forever
post Mar 8 2012, 07:42 PM
Post #6

Rookie
Group Icon

QUOTE (younghem @ Mar 8 2012, 07:38 PM) *
J

Either way I'm happy for Reyes. He'll actually have a chance to win with the Marlins.

Yes he has a three year window and then his contract gets very expensive and jeter probably retires. Dots connected and reyes goes to the dark side.

+Quote Post
MeanBaller
post Mar 9 2012, 08:27 AM
Post #7

Superstar
Group Icon

QUOTE (Batman Forever @ Mar 8 2012, 08:42 PM) *
Yes he has a three year window and then his contract gets very expensive and jeter probably retires. Dots connected and reyes goes to the dark side.

Either way, he isn't playing for the Mets. And he never will again. Which means he gets a real chance to win a ring.

+Quote Post
younghem
post Mar 9 2012, 01:23 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

QUOTE (Batman Forever @ Mar 8 2012, 07:42 PM) *

Could happen. Or the Marlins win the WS on Reyes' back and they actually start drawing fans and he ends up going to the HOF.

No matter what happens Reyes deserves nothing but the best. All fans can ask for is a guy to play his ass off every single day, and we got that from Jose Reyes day in / day out.

One of the all-time greatest New York Mets.

He's more of a Met than the Wilpons could be in a million years.

+Quote Post
jwmann2
post Mar 27 2012, 12:31 AM
Post #9

Little Leaguer
Group Icon

Member No.: 10,232

Mets are just in a poor state. They can't afford big time free agents like Reyes right now. It will be a matter of time before they will be able to shell out that kind of money again.

--------------------

+Quote Post
angy
post Mar 27 2012, 05:36 AM
Post #10

Superstar
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,147

QUOTE (jwmann2 @ Mar 27 2012, 01:31 AM) *
Mets are just in a poor state. They can't afford big time free agents like Reyes right now. It will be a matter of time before they will be able to shell out that kind of money again.

Then why are you so optemistic for this season? In another post you stated the Mets will surpris us and now you admit due to financial problems it will take more time for them to get better players. You are congusing me.

+Quote Post
Batman Forever
post Mar 27 2012, 09:52 AM
Post #11

Rookie
Group Icon

QUOTE (angy @ Mar 27 2012, 06:36 AM) *
Then why are you so optemistic for this season? In another post you stated the Mets will surpris us and now you admit due to financial problems it will take more time for them to get better players. You are congusing me.

For about 50 years now Mets fans have been characterized for their optimism. Phrases like wait till next year and ya gotta believe are trademarks of the mets.

I am excited for 2012 mets baseball !!!!

+Quote Post
MeanBaller
post Mar 27 2012, 09:57 AM
Post #12

Superstar
Group Icon

QUOTE (Batman Forever @ Mar 27 2012, 10:52 AM) *
For about 50 years now Mets fans have been characterized for their optimism. Phrases like wait till next year and ya gotta believe are trademarks of the mets.

I am excited for 2012 mets baseball !!!!

Good for you.

+Quote Post
Batman Forever
post Mar 27 2012, 11:09 AM
Post #13

Rookie
Group Icon

QUOTE (MeanBaller @ Mar 27 2012, 09:57 AM) *
Good for you.

See you at opening day

+Quote Post
angy
post Mar 27 2012, 11:43 AM
Post #14

Superstar
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,147

QUOTE (Batman Forever @ Mar 27 2012, 12:09 PM) *
See you at opening day

You won't see me unless you visit me at my home!

+Quote Post
ohm9115
post Mar 27 2012, 03:22 PM
Post #15

Little Leaguer
Group Icon

Member No.: 9,455

QUOTE (angy @ Mar 27 2012, 11:43 AM) *
You won't see me unless you visit me at my home!

Sad

+Quote Post
ohm9115
post Mar 27 2012, 03:34 PM
Post #16

Little Leaguer
Group Icon

I'm glad were still talking about this. I mean what's better then rehashing the same crap over and over again. I love it! Its great let's see how many posts we can fill saying the same crap over n over again. I agree with batman, I'm excitexd for the season n more then ready to move on from a guy that took himself out of a game to save his batting title. Who wouldn't want a selfish, below three hundred hitter who really is just an overrated overpaid track star on their team. I can't believe we didn't resign a 260 hitter with 7 home runs that only played a third of a season every year for a hundred million dollars. What the hells wrong with the mets?! Oh I know...their actually trying to make smart baseball moves. That's what it is....everybody is twisted around cus your not used to the mets being smart. Its ok...change is hard to handle.

+Quote Post
Milner60
post Mar 27 2012, 03:39 PM
Post #17

Veteran
Group Icon

Member No.: 294

QUOTE (ohm9115 @ Mar 27 2012, 05:34 PM) *
I'm glad were still talking about this. I mean what's better then rehashing the same crap over and over again. I love it! Its great let's see how many posts we can fill saying the same crap over n over again. I agree with batman, I'm excitexd for the season n more then ready to move on from a guy that took himself out of a game to save his batting title. Who wouldn't want a selfish, below three hundred hitter who really is just an overrated overpaid track star on their team. I can't believe we didn't resign a 260 hitter with 7 home runs that only played a third of a season every year for a hundred million dollars. What the hells wrong with the mets?! Oh I know...their actually trying to make smart baseball moves. That's what it is....everybody is twisted around cus your not used to the mets being smart. Its ok...change is hard to handle.

Yes, so much "change" that the smart management kept him until the end of a useless season rather than trading him for some value when we could have...

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
MeanBaller
post Mar 27 2012, 11:21 PM
Post #18

Superstar
Group Icon

QUOTE (ohm9115 @ Mar 27 2012, 04:34 PM) *

I think it's great that you're so happy

+Quote Post
younghem
post Mar 28 2012, 09:47 AM
Post #19

Group Icon

QUOTE (ohm9115 @ Mar 27 2012, 04:34 PM) *

You're right, the Mets really dodged a bullet by not signing Reyes. Just like they dodged it by not signing A-Rod or Vlad..... Thank goodness !!!!

Lets hope they let David Wright walk at the end of the year (without trading him of course) because you don't want to overpay for a homegrown .300 hitter with a .887 career OPS ! Let the bum walk !

The Wilpons, all about dodging bullets. Great baseball men.

+Quote Post
Batman Forever
post Mar 28 2012, 09:53 AM
Post #20

Rookie
Group Icon

QUOTE (younghem @ Mar 28 2012, 10:47 AM) *
You're right, the Mets really dodged a bullet by not signing Reyes. Just like they dodged it by not signing A-Rod or Vlad..... Thank goodness !!!!

Lets hope they let David Wright walk at the end of the year (without trading him of course) because you don't want to overpay for a homegrown .300 hitter with a .887 career OPS ! Let the bum walk !

Yes mets run by great baseball men

+Quote Post
younghem
post Mar 28 2012, 09:55 AM
Post #21

Group Icon

QUOTE (Batman Forever @ Mar 28 2012, 10:53 AM) *
Yes mets run by great baseball men

Clearly...just look at the last decade of success !

+Quote Post
Batman Forever
post Mar 28 2012, 10:08 AM
Post #22

Rookie
Group Icon

QUOTE (younghem @ Mar 28 2012, 10:55 AM) *
Clearly...just look at the last decade of success !

And these great baseball men were hired how many months ago?

+Quote Post
younghem
post Mar 28 2012, 10:10 AM
Post #23

Group Icon

QUOTE (Batman Forever @ Mar 28 2012, 11:08 AM) *
And these great baseball men were hired how many months ago?

Hmm...let's see, Jeff Wilpon was born in what year ? And he was probably about 18 when his Dad gave him full control.....

+Quote Post
Cactus
post Mar 28 2012, 11:36 AM
Post #24

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 159

QUOTE (younghem @ Mar 28 2012, 11:10 AM) *
Hmm...let's see, Jeff Wilpon was born in what year ? And he was probably about 18 when his Dad gave him full control.....

well not that young...he had to get him a few innings in A ball first.

--------------------
'-|-'

- "Mr. Jeff Wilpon has decided that he’s going to learn how to run a baseball team and take over at the end of the year… Run for the hills, boys. I think probably all those baseball people will bail… Jeff sits there by himself like he’s King Tut waiting for his camel.” - Nelson Doubleday
- "In today's regulatory environment, it's virtually impossible to violate rules." - Bernard Madoff, 10/20/07
The Washington Post decided not to cover Ralph Nader's presidential campaign because he had no chance of winning. Nader's response: "Then why are you covering the Nationals?"
- Asked by the Post about the younger Wilpon's job performance, Fred Wilpon said: "Excellent. Everybody knows ...that."
- "The word 'autonomy' is sometimes misused." - Jeff Wilpon
- "Let’s give Jeff Wilpon the benefit of the doubt here for a moment. Let’s say he is not short-tempered. Tone deaf. A credit seeker. An accountability deflector. A micro-manager. A second-guesser. A less-than-deep thinker. And bad at self-awareness. Fine, he’s none of these things. But here is the problem: This is his perception in the industry." - Joel Sherman
- “Jeff is the problem with the organization, and he is never going to realize that. He cannot help himself. He has to be involved. He will never hire anyone who will not let him have major input. He will not hire anyone who does not run every personnel decision through him.” - Anonymous NL Executive
- "The only person with a worse reputation than Jeff Wilpon in the game is David Samson." - Anonymous AL executive
- "[Mets GM Omar Minaya] isn’t the General Manager. Jeff Wilpon is. Omar’s the one out there to take the heat.” - Peter Gammons
- [Jeff Wilpon's] role in management, according to one official who worked for him, "is to act as president and CEO of second-guessing."
- "I always want Mets fans on my juries," said one noted defense attorney friend, a rabid Yankees fan. "They love losers, even three-time losers like some of my clients. And if Mets fans believe anything the Mets front office says, I can convince them to acquit anybody." - Denis Hamill
- I got a call the other day. They noted I had been a long term season ticket holder and asked if I was interested. I immediately exclaimed "I'm so sorry for the Wilpon Family". He asked what I meant. I told the guy if he looked in my file, he'd see a note to call me after both Fred and Jeff dropped dead, and not a day before. - Meanballer

+Quote Post
younghem
post Mar 28 2012, 11:38 AM
Post #25

Group Icon

QUOTE (Cactus @ Mar 28 2012, 11:36 AM) *
well not that young...he had to get him a few innings in A ball first.

Maybe they'll let him try 3B after they let Wright walk without trading him.....

+Quote Post
ohm9115
post Mar 31 2012, 10:06 PM
Post #26

Little Leaguer
Group Icon

QUOTE (younghem @ Mar 28 2012, 09:47 AM) *

Wright is a base ball player and his statistics prove it. He is a better baseball PLAYER the Reyes. Not athelet but player. He deserves a contract. I agree that they should have traded Reyes letting him walk was stupid but even though he is dynamic he symbolises what was wrong with this team. It became a show. It was more about hand shakes and chants and the race for batting titles. We lost baseball with the mets back with steve phillips and it became about celebrity trying to sign the biggest names and most popular players. Other than the yankees teams that win championships r built with PLAYERS. That's were this team is trying to get back to. 69 we had players, 86 we had players, even in 2000 we had players. Yes loosing Reyes sucks. But it was the right move. He's a great kid, he's never been a problem and will be a great addition to miami but he wasn't the solution either. Wright is the homegrown talent u want leading this team and with the young nucleus growing in this team were closer to the world series then we've been in a decade because now were getting back to baseball. Please if u haven't already read wrights comments summarized today on mets blog today. U would never here those words out of Reyes moth. Not because he doesn't care but because he just thinks from a diff angle. To him his success is predicated on how big of a star he is, and how much he's needed. Wright in that article is pretty much telling the mets he will give a hometown discount to stay out of loyalty he has to the mets for what they did for him. Reyes felt the mets showed him no loyalty forvgetting that his rode to where he is almost mirrord Wrights. One will sacrafice for the team, One neede to be courted like a beautiful woman. Letting him go was the right choice.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th July 2014 - 07:55 PM