Where is everyone, The board is silent!
angy
post Mar 13 2012, 12:19 PM
Post #1

Superstar
Group Icon

Group: Validated Members
Member No.: 1,147

Just posting to see if the Forum is still alive. It's been too quiet for the past 3 days. Aren't you all excited about the 2012 Mets? I'm anxious to see some of the new faces on tv only. No visits to the Park for me this year unless Selig demands the sale of the team.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Lostmet
post Mar 13 2012, 01:07 PM
Post #2

Veteran
Group Icon

Member No.: 604

Still lurking about. Not much to comment on...except a bunch of pulled muscles. Tired of Wilpons and Alderson. No zip this spring training at all.

+Quote Post
angy
post Mar 13 2012, 01:19 PM
Post #3

Superstar
Group Icon

Plenty of zip. They are zipping quickly to the trainers room. Can you have 25 players on the disabled list? Just 3 weeks until opening day and already a dozen injured. Is it possible the Wilpons have instilled negative motivation.

+Quote Post
Truefan79
post Mar 13 2012, 02:22 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

Group: Mods
Member No.: 52

We're all on the DL with the rest of the Metsies. Get back to us in 60 days. smile.gif

--------------------
People ask me what I do in winter when thereís no baseball. Iíll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring.

- Rogers Hornsby

Trading specs for Santana would be a disaster, just ask the Twins.

-mvr 7/2/12

+Quote Post
RayL
post Mar 14 2012, 04:58 AM
Post #5

Veteran
Group Icon

Member No.: 107

Does anybody know how I can get a note to the Wilpons attention? Maybe even Alderson? I doubt they'd read it because they probably have enough hate mail coming in every day. I'd like to offer my services as a long time international coach, author, athlete and exercise physiologist. I would just like the opportunity to watch spring training from Day 1 next year. Then compare that with what they do mid season and a few other times throughout the year. Don't even have to pay me. I just want to see what it is that these guys are doing (or not doing) that gets them so banged up, misdiagnosed, and screwed up.

+Quote Post
angy
post Mar 14 2012, 10:25 AM
Post #6

Superstar
Group Icon

QUOTE (RayL @ Mar 14 2012, 05:58 AM) *
Does anybody know how I can get a note to the Wilpons attention? Maybe even Alderson? I doubt they'd read it because they probably have enough hate mail coming in every day. I'd like to offer my services as a long time international coach, author, athlete and exercise physiologist. I would just like the opportunity to watch spring training from Day 1 next year. Then compare that with what they do mid season and a few other times throughout the year. Don't even have to pay me. I just want to see what it is that these guys are doing (or not doing) that gets them so banged up, misdiagnosed, and screwed up.

It starts at the top!

+Quote Post
ohm9115
post Mar 14 2012, 08:22 PM
Post #7

Little Leaguer
Group Icon

Member No.: 9,455

Everyone should have valley fever if they hit like Ike. Duddas been on fire and showing he has the confidence to play in the bigs. Torres reminds me of jay payton. Bay finally got a hit so we should trade him while he's hot. I still don't believe in reuben tejada. Murphy is going to give us heartburn at second all season. Tholes defense looks better, and last but not least Pelfrey being Pelfrey.

+Quote Post
angy
post Mar 15 2012, 05:50 AM
Post #8

Superstar
Group Icon

QUOTE (ohm9115 @ Mar 14 2012, 09:22 PM) *
Everyone should have valley fever if they hit like Ike. Duddas been on fire and showing he has the confidence to play in the bigs. Torres reminds me of jay payton. Bay finally got a hit so we should trade him while he's hot. I still don't believe in reuben tejada. Murphy is going to give us heartburn at second all season. Tholes defense looks better, and last but not least Pelfrey being Pelfrey.

Pelfrey is the worst investment on the team and I am aware of Jason Bay's performance. How and why the Mets even considered re-signing Pelf is a reflection on how bad their player evaluation is. Almost as bad as their medical staff.

+Quote Post
ohm9115
post Mar 15 2012, 03:01 PM
Post #9

Little Leaguer
Group Icon

Member No.: 9,455

QUOTE (angy @ Mar 15 2012, 05:50 AM) *
Pelfrey is the worst investment on the team and I am aware of Jason Bay's performance. How and why the Mets even considered re-signing Pelf is a reflection on how bad their player evaluation is. Almost as bad as their medical staff.

The medical staff is a whole nother story. I don't know if I can really blame them when I hear things about management telling players to suck it up and get on the feild. in some cases I agree with that theory but maybe u should actually allow the docs to look at the player before you call him wussy.

+Quote Post
younghem
post Mar 16 2012, 12:00 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

Member No.: 210

QUOTE (angy @ Mar 15 2012, 05:50 AM) *

This year is Pelf's last shot to prove something. I've heard rumors that they are looking at bringing back Chris Young. I think if Pelf stinks it up he'll be in the bullpen or AAA or released......

+Quote Post
Truefan79
post Mar 16 2012, 12:19 PM
Post #11

Group Icon

QUOTE (younghem @ Mar 16 2012, 02:00 PM) *
This year is Pelf's last shot to prove something. I've heard rumors that they are looking at bringing back Chris Young. I think if Pelf stinks it up he'll be in the bullpen or AAA or released......

I'm not worried about Pelfrey yet. I say this every spring because every spring he is horrible. I'll worry about Pelfrey in May if he still stinks. This is an even year so I'm keeping up my Pelfrey is good in even years hope.

--------------------
People ask me what I do in winter when thereís no baseball. Iíll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring.

- Rogers Hornsby

-mvr 7/2/12

+Quote Post
angy
post Mar 16 2012, 01:58 PM
Post #12

Superstar
Group Icon

QUOTE (Truefan79 @ Mar 16 2012, 01:19 PM) *
I'm not worried about Pelfrey yet. I say this every spring because every spring he is horrible. I'll worry about Pelfrey in May if he still stinks. This is an even year so I'm keeping up my Pelfrey is good in even years hope.

He will stink in May,June,July,etc. He always stinks! Another bust and waste of money like Oliver Perez!

+Quote Post
Truefan79
post Mar 16 2012, 02:28 PM
Post #13

Group Icon

QUOTE (angy @ Mar 16 2012, 03:58 PM) *
He will stink in May,June,July,etc. He always stinks! Another bust and waste of money like Oliver Perez!

He's usually good in even numbered years so there's still hope. I'm still not sure why you keep comparing him to Oliver Perez. They are 2 completely different pitchers with completely different issues.

2008: 3.72 ERA
2009: 5.03 ERA
2010: 3.66 ERA
2011: 4.74 ERA
2012: ???

If it continues I suggest signing him to even numbered year contract going forward, lol.

Here is an excellent article about Pelfrey btw. Pelfrey Article

And as far as a waste of money one of the posters on that site (Kyle) broke down Pelrey's value quite nicely.

By fWAR, Pelf’s been worth 8.6 WAR, and by bWAR, he’s been worth 5.7 WAR. Taking the conservative 5.7 WAR, and applying a conservative $4M/WAR paid on the free agent market, he’s been worth $22.8M over his Mets career (and that doesn’t include any value he’ll provide in 2012). According to Cot’s, Pelf has been paid $20.2625M, inclusive of his signing bonus and 2012 salary. So despite rounding conservatively at every corner, Pelf *has* provided the value for the money he’s been paid.

--------------------

- Rogers Hornsby

-mvr 7/2/12

+Quote Post
angy
post Mar 16 2012, 02:50 PM
Post #14

Superstar
Group Icon

He doesn't win and he is taking a roster spot from some other pitcher who maybe can win. I compare him to Perez because you can turn the game off in the 4th inning of almost every game he pitches.

+Quote Post
Truefan79
post Mar 16 2012, 02:57 PM
Post #15

Group Icon

QUOTE (angy @ Mar 16 2012, 04:50 PM) *
He doesn't win and he is taking a roster spot from some other pitcher who maybe can win. I compare him to Perez because you can turn the game off in the 4th inning of almost every game he pitches.

And who is this mythical pitcher of wonder? We all want to know.

--------------------

- Rogers Hornsby

-mvr 7/2/12

+Quote Post
angy
post Mar 16 2012, 03:17 PM
Post #16

Superstar
Group Icon

QUOTE (Truefan79 @ Mar 16 2012, 03:57 PM) *
And who is this mythical pitcher of wonder? We all want to know.

Matt Harvey! Nothing mystical. But he would win more games than Pelf, be more exciting to watch, and the money saved could certainly be used elswhere.

+Quote Post
Truefan79
post Mar 16 2012, 03:49 PM
Post #17

Group Icon

QUOTE (angy @ Mar 16 2012, 05:17 PM) *
Matt Harvey! Nothing mystical. But he would win more games than Pelf, be more exciting to watch, and the money saved could certainly be used elswhere.

The issue with that is that Matt Harvey isn't ready. If Mets fans should have learned anything from Pelfrey it's the consequences of rushing a pitching prospect. Only 2 years ago Matt Harvey had a 5 ERA in college and he's only 225 innings removed from that. 90 of which were his final year of college. Not to mention the 4.53 ERA he had in AA last year. Great logic there. The guy who struggled getting AA hitters out is a better choice than the guy who has proven he can get MLB hitters out...

The real choices outside of Pelfrey are Chris Schwinden, Jeremy Hefner, and Miguel Batista. So yes, Matt Harvey certainly qualifies as mystical.

--------------------

- Rogers Hornsby

-mvr 7/2/12

+Quote Post
Metsalltheway11
post Mar 17 2012, 04:30 AM
Post #18

Minor Leaguer
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,325

QUOTE (angy @ Mar 16 2012, 03:17 PM) *

No, No, and NO! I don't want to see him until september, or even next season for that matter!

--------------------

+Quote Post
JerseyScott
post Mar 17 2012, 09:01 AM
Post #19

Superstar
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,221

QUOTE (younghem @ Mar 16 2012, 01:00 PM) *

After this year's MLB and NFL seasons, perhaps Pelfrey and Sanchez will buy a pub or something together.....

Last chance for both and I am not feeling too good about it.

--------------------
"Punk is whatever we made it to be"

+Quote Post
Metsalltheway11
post Mar 17 2012, 02:58 PM
Post #20

Minor Leaguer
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,325

QUOTE (JerseyScott @ Mar 17 2012, 09:01 AM) *
After this year's MLB and NFL seasons, perhaps Pelfrey and Sanchez will buy a pub or something together.....

And didnt the jets just give sanchez an extension? lol

--------------------

+Quote Post
angy
post Mar 18 2012, 01:25 PM
Post #21

Superstar
Group Icon

Is Pelfrey a witness for the Wilpons in the Maddof trial. What other reason would the Mets waste $6mil on this bum. He really sucks! 8 runs again today in less than 4 innings. His ST era is around 30.Bring back Oliver Perez!

+Quote Post
Pauly B
post Mar 19 2012, 10:49 PM
Post #22

Minor Leaguer
Group Icon

Member No.: 8,486

The key to winning a game with Pelfrey is having someone warm up in the bullpen as soon as he takes the mound.

+Quote Post
Lostmet
post Mar 21 2012, 02:16 PM
Post #23

Veteran
Group Icon

QUOTE (JerseyScott @ Mar 17 2012, 10:01 AM) *

they can call their joint the 'Scrub Shop'

+Quote Post
jwmann2
post Mar 27 2012, 12:36 AM
Post #24

Little Leaguer
Group Icon

Member No.: 10,232

QUOTE (angy @ Mar 13 2012, 01:19 PM) *
Just posting to see if the Forum is still alive. It's been too quiet for the past 3 days. Aren't you all excited about the 2012 Mets? I'm anxious to see some of the new faces on tv only. No visits to the Park for me this year unless Selig demands the sale of the team.

A sign of the times. Spring training is always a poor indicator of how a team will perform over 162 games. Waiting for opening day.

--------------------

+Quote Post
CabreraM
post Apr 6 2012, 06:45 AM
Post #25

Little Leaguer
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,110

it the forum dying? did i join too late?
i am always excited about the new faces on tv
so i am with you on that one wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
angy
post Apr 6 2012, 09:40 AM
Post #26

Superstar
Group Icon

QUOTE (CabreraM @ Apr 6 2012, 07:45 AM) *
it the forum dying? did i join too late?
i am always excited about the new faces on tv
so i am with you on that one wink.gif

If you like new faces, the Mets are the team to watch.

+Quote Post
Truefan79
post May 2 2012, 02:44 PM
Post #27

Group Icon

2 things:

I told you so
Be careful what you wish for

That's all, good day fellows and ladies.

--------------------

- Rogers Hornsby

-mvr 7/2/12

+Quote Post
Lostmet
post May 3 2012, 08:04 AM
Post #28

Veteran
Group Icon

I think the quiet is a sign of the times. Very low expectations, battle fatigue over ownership, what Jimmy Carter referred to as 'malaise.' It will take a whole bunch of winning to perk things up. I am happy for D Wright and hope he keeps it up. I feel sorry for Santana who cant get a run in support. The pen stinks as usual. Tejada is good... hope he keeps it up. Still waiting on Ike and Duda. Cpt. Kirk has done well as has Thole to date. it reminds me of 1982-1983.

+Quote Post
MeanBaller
post May 3 2012, 11:03 AM
Post #29

Superstar
Group Icon

Member No.: 684

QUOTE (Lostmet @ May 3 2012, 09:04 AM) *
I think the quiet is a sign of the times. Very low expectations, battle fatigue over ownership, what Jimmy Carter referred to as 'malaise.' It will take a whole bunch of winning to perk things up. I am happy for D Wright and hope he keeps it up. I feel sorry for Santana who cant get a run in support. The pen stinks as usual. Tejada is good... hope he keeps it up. Still waiting on Ike and Duda. Cpt. Kirk has done well as has Thole to date. it reminds me of 1982-1983.

Here is the ultimate question -

Why should the patrons of a business care more about it's success than its owners?

+Quote Post
Batman Forever
post May 3 2012, 12:29 PM
Post #30

Rookie
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,680

QUOTE (MeanBaller @ May 3 2012, 12:03 PM) *
Here is the ultimate question -

Why should the patrons of a business care more about it's success than its owners?

If the owners invest heavily in payroll (as they have) and ultimately the team doesnt win some accuse them of being cheap and or stupid and change the subject from their investment in success.

If the owners invest heavily in a new stadium (as they have) because they want what is best for the team and the fans, some accuse them of loving the dodgers. A state of the art stadium is a selling point to attracting winning players.

If the owners hire three of the best baseball executives to run baseball operations because they want to build a winner, some claim these men have no control. Proof will be in the construction of the winner and rebuild these execs are doing right now...

If the owners build a sports network to provide a revenue stream to build a winning team, some will not understand the business of baseball and why things are structured the way they are....

And listen to mr weiner, head of the players association on how these owners are committed to winning.

Connect the dots. The answer is clear (you might not like it), the wilpons want to win.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd November 2014 - 11:21 AM