Mets to Surprise in 2012
Batman Forever
post Apr 1 2012, 05:48 PM
Post #1

Rookie
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,680

Mets will be better than people think in 2012.

Think power - Duda, Davis, Wright and maybe Bay.

Starting Pitchers - Johan is back, Niese emerging, Dickey and Gee

Relief - committee approach of better arms than '11

Two wildcards, and you just never know which team will go on a run believing in themselves having fun just winning.

Looks like Niese is getting s long term contract, and perhaps Ike and Duda next. Young arms on their way, some wins and Alderson will be building a contender before you know it.

Lets go Mets...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
angy
post Apr 1 2012, 07:28 PM
Post #2

Superstar
Group Icon

Group: Validated Members
Member No.: 1,147

QUOTE (Batman Forever @ Apr 1 2012, 06:48 PM) *

Two wildcards, and you just never know which team will go on a run believing in themselves having fun just winning.

Looks like Niese is getting s long term contract, and perhaps Ike and Duda next. Young arms on their way, some wins and Alderson will be building a contender before you know it.

Lets go Mets...

Do you work in ticket sales?

+Quote Post
Batman Forever
post Apr 1 2012, 08:19 PM
Post #3

Rookie
Group Icon

QUOTE (angy @ Apr 1 2012, 07:28 PM) *
Do you work in ticket sales?

So if the Mets made the playoffs and hosted the one game play in, would you buy tickets?

+Quote Post
angy
post Apr 2 2012, 05:12 AM
Post #4

Superstar
Group Icon

QUOTE (Batman Forever @ Apr 1 2012, 09:19 PM) *
So if the Mets made the playoffs and hosted the one game play in, would you buy tickets?

Not unless the Wilpons are gone! And what do you think the odds are for that if. I think the Mets have a better chance to finish last in their Division then they have being a wild card.

+Quote Post
Batman Forever
post Apr 2 2012, 05:20 AM
Post #5

Rookie
Group Icon

QUOTE (angy @ Apr 2 2012, 05:12 AM) *
Not unless the Wilpons are gone! And what do you think the odds are for that if. I think the Mets have a better chance to finish last in their Division then they have being a wild card.

So what team are you rooting for? Seems clear to me which team you are rooting against.

I am a mets fan. You never know who will make the playoffs and that is why they play the games on the field.

+Quote Post
angy
post Apr 2 2012, 09:59 AM
Post #6

Superstar
Group Icon

QUOTE (Batman Forever @ Apr 2 2012, 06:20 AM) *
So what team are you rooting for? Seems clear to me which team you are rooting against.

I am a mets fan. You never know who will make the playoffs and that is why they play the games on the field.

Like you I'm a Mets fan but I'm also a realist. I know that my team is several years from competing but I will still root for them. If I only rooted for a winner I would be a Yankee fan. I'm just upset that a major market team like the Mets is run so poorly and fan consideration is not at the top of the Owners list. And how did you come to the conclusion which team I'm rooting against. Could you please tell me so I can see if you are a psychic.

+Quote Post
MeanBaller
post Apr 2 2012, 01:21 PM
Post #7

Superstar
Group Icon

Member No.: 684

You're all wasting your time....

This guy is simply stirring you up. Why feed into it. Let him make his single posts, and let them wither on the vine.

+Quote Post
Batman Forever
post Apr 2 2012, 01:40 PM
Post #8

Rookie
Group Icon

QUOTE (MeanBaller @ Apr 2 2012, 01:21 PM) *
You're all wasting your time....

This guy is simply stirring you up. Why feed into it. Let him make his single posts, and let them wither on the vine.

This guy named MeanBaller sent a memo to ignore all Batman Forever posts.

I guess he forgot to follow his own memo.

Epic fail !!!

Lets go mets and be psyched for opening day!!!!

+Quote Post
Batman Forever
post Apr 2 2012, 01:48 PM
Post #9

Rookie
Group Icon

QUOTE (angy @ Apr 2 2012, 09:59 AM) *
Like you I'm a Mets fan but I'm also a realist. I know that my team is several years from competing but I will still root for them. If I only rooted for a winner I would be a Yankee fan. I'm just upset that a major market team like the Mets is run so poorly and fan consideration is not at the top of the Owners list. And how did you come to the conclusion which team I'm rooting against. Could you please tell me so I can see if you are a psychic.

Fan consideration? You mean like providing a state of the art stadium for the fans. Investing in one of the highest payrolls in the league their first 9 years as owners (and now turning over the roster to build a new core).

Poorly run teams do not make changes to their philosophy or change their talent evaluators or baseball executives. Mets certainly did and a new era of mets baseball with solid young talent is being built. I am excited with the young outfielders bubbling up, the maturation of ike and Duda. Tejada as one of the youngest players in the league has great baseball instincts. And the young core of pitchers will set this team apart.

Your reaction of non interest to a mets playoff game is unusual, or essentially not typical of a rabid fan. Come out to some road games, home games, or watch on tv, the Internet or listen via radio. Its all good because we are mets fans. And we support our team.

+Quote Post
Cactus
post Apr 2 2012, 01:53 PM
Post #10

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 159

QUOTE (Batman Forever @ Apr 2 2012, 02:48 PM) *
Fan consideration? You mean like providing a state of the art stadium for the fans. Investing in one of the highest payrolls in the league their first 9 years as owners (and now turning over the roster to build a new core).

Poorly run teams do not make changes to their philosophy or change their talent evaluators or baseball executives. Mets certainly did and a new era of mets baseball with solid young talent is being built. I am excited with the young outfielders bubbling up, the maturation of ike and Duda. Tejada as one of the youngest players in the league has great baseball instincts. And the young core of pitchers will set this team apart.

Your reaction of non interest to a mets playoff game is unusual, or essentially not typical of a rabid fan. Come out to some road games, home games, or watch on tv, the Internet or listen via radio. Its all good because we are mets fans. And we support our team.

yes i'm sure they built citifield for the fans. 10K less seats, no more boxes, and drastically higher prices are all fan-friendly perks that we can all get behind.

--------------------
'-|-'

- "Mr. Jeff Wilpon has decided that he’s going to learn how to run a baseball team and take over at the end of the year… Run for the hills, boys. I think probably all those baseball people will bail… Jeff sits there by himself like he’s King Tut waiting for his camel.” - Nelson Doubleday
- "In today's regulatory environment, it's virtually impossible to violate rules." - Bernard Madoff, 10/20/07
The Washington Post decided not to cover Ralph Nader's presidential campaign because he had no chance of winning. Nader's response: "Then why are you covering the Nationals?"
- Asked by the Post about the younger Wilpon's job performance, Fred Wilpon said: "Excellent. Everybody knows ...that."
- "The word 'autonomy' is sometimes misused." - Jeff Wilpon
- "Let’s give Jeff Wilpon the benefit of the doubt here for a moment. Let’s say he is not short-tempered. Tone deaf. A credit seeker. An accountability deflector. A micro-manager. A second-guesser. A less-than-deep thinker. And bad at self-awareness. Fine, he’s none of these things. But here is the problem: This is his perception in the industry." - Joel Sherman
- “Jeff is the problem with the organization, and he is never going to realize that. He cannot help himself. He has to be involved. He will never hire anyone who will not let him have major input. He will not hire anyone who does not run every personnel decision through him.” - Anonymous NL Executive
- "The only person with a worse reputation than Jeff Wilpon in the game is David Samson." - Anonymous AL executive
- "[Mets GM Omar Minaya] isn’t the General Manager. Jeff Wilpon is. Omar’s the one out there to take the heat.” - Peter Gammons
- [Jeff Wilpon's] role in management, according to one official who worked for him, "is to act as president and CEO of second-guessing."
- "I always want Mets fans on my juries," said one noted defense attorney friend, a rabid Yankees fan. "They love losers, even three-time losers like some of my clients. And if Mets fans believe anything the Mets front office says, I can convince them to acquit anybody." - Denis Hamill
- I got a call the other day. They noted I had been a long term season ticket holder and asked if I was interested. I immediately exclaimed "I'm so sorry for the Wilpon Family". He asked what I meant. I told the guy if he looked in my file, he'd see a note to call me after both Fred and Jeff dropped dead, and not a day before. - Meanballer

+Quote Post
Batman Forever
post Apr 2 2012, 02:02 PM
Post #11

Rookie
Group Icon

QUOTE (Cactus @ Apr 2 2012, 01:53 PM) *
yes i'm sure they built citifield for the fans. 10K less seats, no more boxes, and drastically higher prices are all fan-friendly perks that we can all get behind.

Sure you are right, we all protest to bring back an almost 50 year old decrepit stadium instead of the state of the art citi field. We prefer worse sight lines, less food options, and a stadium that seemed like it would collapse when the fans rocked the house. Entertainment options in new york are diverse and more expensive than other markets around the country.

A little hypocritical to complain about the owners stripping revenue from the team, and then suggesting lower ticket prices to um, strip revenue from the team.

+Quote Post
Truefan79
post Apr 2 2012, 02:45 PM
Post #12

Group Icon

Group: Mods
Member No.: 52

QUOTE (Batman Forever @ Apr 2 2012, 04:02 PM) *
Sure you are right, we all protest to bring back an almost 50 year old decrepit stadium instead of the state of the art citi field. We prefer worse sight lines, less food options, and a stadium that seemed like it would collapse when the fans rocked the house. Entertainment options in new york are diverse and more expensive than other markets around the country.

A little hypocritical to complain about the owners stripping revenue from the team, and then suggesting lower ticket prices to um, strip revenue from the team.

The Angels have a state of the art ballpark, spend on their payroll, aim to deliver a championship caliber of baseball, and play in similar market as NY and yet they do not gouge their fans.

Average ticket price at Angels Stadium: $17
at Citi: $31

Cost to park at angels: 8
at Citi: 19

Beer price: $4.50
$5.75

hotdog: $3
$5

Payrolls: Always comparable with the Mets spending slightly more
Results: LMAO no need

Listen I don't want to be an Angels fan. I was born and always will be a Mets fan. However the facts are the facts. The Wilpons are simply not good owners and could give a hoot about the fans. There is proof out there for those who don't have their orange and blue colored glasses on. Citi Field is one of the worst rated ball parks for fan experience. Why do you think that is?

That is why there are many Mets fans upset out there. We see what the Wilpons have done and are doing to our beloved team. Why should we be happy about that?? Mets fans are tired of hoping our team will be good. We're tired of relying on a miracles. We want and expect a good team, we have shown we are willing to pay for it. We are tired of promises never delivered.

You're the minority. You're the girl who keeps coming back because the boyfriend swears he is going to change.

--------------------
People ask me what I do in winter when there’s no baseball. I’ll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring.

- Rogers Hornsby

Trading specs for Santana would be a disaster, just ask the Twins.

-mvr 7/2/12

+Quote Post
angy
post Apr 2 2012, 03:20 PM
Post #13

Superstar
Group Icon

QUOTE (Truefan79 @ Apr 2 2012, 03:45 PM) *
The Angels have a state of the art ballpark, spend on their payroll, aim to deliver a championship caliber of baseball, and play in similar market as NY and yet they do not gouge their fans.

$5.75

$5

Listen I don't want to be an Angels fan. I was born and always will be a Mets fan. However the facts are the facts. The Wilpons are simply not good owners and could give a hoot about the fans. There is proof out there for those who don't have their orange and blue colored glasses on. Citi Field is one of the worst rated ball parks for fan experience. Why do you think that is?

That is why there are many Mets fans upset out there. We see what the Wilpons have done and are doing to our beloved team. Why should we be happy about that?? Mets fans are tired of hoping our team will be good. We're tired of relying on a miracles. We want and expect a good team, we have shown we are willing to pay for it. We are tired of promises never delivered.

You're the minority. You're the girl who keeps coming back because the boyfriend swears he is going to change.

Very well put! Real Mets fans will stay away from the Park since it's our only hope for a new owner.

+Quote Post
RayL
post Apr 2 2012, 05:47 PM
Post #14

Veteran
Group Icon

Member No.: 107

Batman forever......is that you Fred???

+Quote Post
Batman Forever
post Apr 2 2012, 06:17 PM
Post #15

Rookie
Group Icon

QUOTE (Truefan79 @ Apr 2 2012, 02:45 PM) *

$5.75

$5

Perhaps you should compare the numbers for teams in major markets in the northeast? How do the mets prices compare to the red sox, yankees and phillies. How do the mets prices compare to other new york teams like the jets, giants, rangers, knicks, etc.?

There always can be one outlier statistically in a group. You sought that out and presented it as fact. Like the kid who gets the low grades in school and swears it will change next class. If you have given up on the mets, find another team or something that will make you happy. I believe and truly enjoy my team. No need to put me down because you are down.

Lets win opening day for the kid.

+Quote Post
Cactus
post Apr 3 2012, 08:44 AM
Post #16

Admin
Group Icon

QUOTE (Batman Forever @ Apr 2 2012, 07:17 PM) *
Perhaps you should compare the numbers for teams in major markets in the northeast? How do the mets prices compare to the red sox, yankees and phillies. How do the mets prices compare to other new york teams like the jets, giants, rangers, knicks, etc.?

despite the silliness of comparing prices to teams that consistently win and consistently go out and get the best players, you bring up ticket prices for the phillies? do you realize that when citifield opened, there was not one seat below the upper deck that was cheaper than what it cost to sit behind home plate at citizens bank park?

--------------------
'-|-'

- "Mr. Jeff Wilpon has decided that he’s going to learn how to run a baseball team and take over at the end of the year… Run for the hills, boys. I think probably all those baseball people will bail… Jeff sits there by himself like he’s King Tut waiting for his camel.” - Nelson Doubleday
- "In today's regulatory environment, it's virtually impossible to violate rules." - Bernard Madoff, 10/20/07
The Washington Post decided not to cover Ralph Nader's presidential campaign because he had no chance of winning. Nader's response: "Then why are you covering the Nationals?"
- Asked by the Post about the younger Wilpon's job performance, Fred Wilpon said: "Excellent. Everybody knows ...that."
- "Let’s give Jeff Wilpon the benefit of the doubt here for a moment. Let’s say he is not short-tempered. Tone deaf. A credit seeker. An accountability deflector. A micro-manager. A second-guesser. A less-than-deep thinker. And bad at self-awareness. Fine, he’s none of these things. But here is the problem: This is his perception in the industry." - Joel Sherman
- “Jeff is the problem with the organization, and he is never going to realize that. He cannot help himself. He has to be involved. He will never hire anyone who will not let him have major input. He will not hire anyone who does not run every personnel decision through him.” - Anonymous NL Executive
- "The only person with a worse reputation than Jeff Wilpon in the game is David Samson." - Anonymous AL executive
- "[Mets GM Omar Minaya] isn’t the General Manager. Jeff Wilpon is. Omar’s the one out there to take the heat.” - Peter Gammons
- [Jeff Wilpon's] role in management, according to one official who worked for him, "is to act as president and CEO of second-guessing."
- "I always want Mets fans on my juries," said one noted defense attorney friend, a rabid Yankees fan. "They love losers, even three-time losers like some of my clients. And if Mets fans believe anything the Mets front office says, I can convince them to acquit anybody." - Denis Hamill
- I got a call the other day. They noted I had been a long term season ticket holder and asked if I was interested. I immediately exclaimed "I'm so sorry for the Wilpon Family". He asked what I meant. I told the guy if he looked in my file, he'd see a note to call me after both Fred and Jeff dropped dead, and not a day before. - Meanballer

+Quote Post
MeanBaller
post Apr 3 2012, 09:27 AM
Post #17

Superstar
Group Icon

You guys make a lot of sense. Then again if you expect your audience of one to accept it, you should first spend a few days banging your head against the wall.

+Quote Post
Batman Forever
post Apr 3 2012, 11:09 AM
Post #18

Rookie
Group Icon

QUOTE (MeanBaller @ Apr 3 2012, 09:27 AM) *
You guys make a lot of sense. Then again if you expect your audience of one to accept it, you should first spend a few days banging your head against the wall.

If you have something to say to me - just say it already!

+Quote Post
Pauly B
post Apr 3 2012, 12:30 PM
Post #19

Minor Leaguer
Group Icon

Member No.: 8,486

QUOTE (Batman Forever @ Apr 1 2012, 05:48 PM) *

Lets go Mets...

Don't forget about Murphy. He has power and the ability to bat .300....speaking of averages, watch out for Tejada....he finished last season at an impressive 284 and I believe he can match or surpass that this year. The only question mark is Bay. I can't wait to see how the new dimensions affect him.

+Quote Post
Batman Forever
post Apr 3 2012, 12:51 PM
Post #20

Rookie
Group Icon

QUOTE (Pauly B @ Apr 3 2012, 01:30 PM) *
Don't forget about Murphy. He has power and the ability to bat .300....speaking of averages, watch out for Tejada....he finished last season at an impressive 284 and I believe he can match or surpass that this year. The only question mark is Bay. I can't wait to see how the new dimensions affect him.

Totally agree. I did a fantasy league and picked up wright and then duda and murphy in the last few rounds. Murphy is a 300 hitter and at 2b will be a valuable player. Mets are a very, very young team. It will be exciting.

+Quote Post
Lostmet
post Apr 3 2012, 03:13 PM
Post #21

Veteran
Group Icon

Member No.: 604

QUOTE (Batman Forever @ Apr 2 2012, 03:02 PM) *

The only entertainment options I need at a baseball game comes from a good baseball team. I have been waiting since 1986 for a team in a Mets uniform to win a world series. And yes I prefer the 50 year old decrepit stadium because it was for the Mets not a Dodgers knock off wet dream of an unsavory owner.

+Quote Post
Cactus
post Apr 4 2012, 07:23 AM
Post #22

Admin
Group Icon

QUOTE (Batman Forever @ Apr 2 2012, 02:02 PM) *

People aren't buying tickets, so prices are still too high for the product they are putting on the field.

--------------------
'-|-'

+Quote Post
Cactus
post Apr 4 2012, 07:28 AM
Post #23

Admin
Group Icon

QUOTE (Batman Forever @ Apr 2 2012, 02:02 PM) *

Citifield has its own issues with sightlines due to poor design and contrived quirkiness. And what happens when the fans rock the house at Citifield? Nobody knows...

--------------------
'-|-'

+Quote Post
Batman Forever
post Apr 4 2012, 09:18 AM
Post #24

Rookie
Group Icon

QUOTE (Cactus @ Apr 4 2012, 07:23 AM) *
People aren't buying tickets, so prices are still too high for the product they are putting on the field.

And the mets implemented dynamic pricing for 2012 so if fans are not buying, the pricing goes down. Still complaining?

It is opening day, and the point of this thread before it was hijacked was about the players on the field. C'mon guys wake up and get ready to chant, lets go mets!

+Quote Post
Batman Forever
post Apr 4 2012, 10:18 AM
Post #25

Rookie
Group Icon

QUOTE (Cactus @ Apr 4 2012, 07:28 AM) *
Citifield has its own issues with sightlines due to poor design and contrived quirkiness. And what happens when the fans rock the house at Citifield? Nobody knows...

Come rock the house, have a great time and you will find out!

+Quote Post
Cactus
post Apr 4 2012, 11:22 AM
Post #26

Admin
Group Icon

QUOTE (Batman Forever @ Apr 4 2012, 10:18 AM) *
Come rock the house, have a great time and you will find out!

i'm pretty loud, but i don't think i'm going to replace 30,000 fans by myself.

--------------------
'-|-'

+Quote Post
MeanBaller
post Apr 4 2012, 12:54 PM
Post #27

Superstar
Group Icon

QUOTE (Cactus @ Apr 4 2012, 11:22 AM) *

How sad........................

+Quote Post
Batman Forever
post Apr 4 2012, 01:26 PM
Post #28

Rookie
Group Icon

QUOTE (Cactus @ Apr 4 2012, 11:22 AM) *

I get it the Mets averaged 30,000 fans a game in 2011 (capacity 41,000).

Wait your math is off, way off.

Lets stick to rooting for the team. Lets go mets.

+Quote Post
Cactus
post Apr 4 2012, 02:13 PM
Post #29

Admin
Group Icon

QUOTE (Batman Forever @ Apr 4 2012, 01:26 PM) *
I get it the Mets averaged 30,000 fans a game in 2011 (capacity 41,000).

Wait your math is off, way off.

Lets stick to rooting for the team. Lets go mets.

30,000 a game? that's 25,000 less than shea's capacity. and that citifield # is ticket sales, not attendance. there were not 30,000 people a game in that stadium in 2011, not a chance. likely will be less in 2012 too...so if my math is off, it's that my number is too low.

and lets stick to whatever you want to stick to. no one is telling you what to do.

--------------------
'-|-'

+Quote Post
MeanBaller
post Apr 4 2012, 05:05 PM
Post #30

Superstar
Group Icon

QUOTE (Cactus @ Apr 4 2012, 02:13 PM) *
30,000 a game? that's 25,000 less than shea's capacity. and that citifield # is ticket sales, not attendance. there were not 30,000 people a game in that stadium in 2011, not a chance. likely will be less in 2012 too...so if my math is off, it's that my number is too low.

and lets stick to whatever you want to stick to. no one is telling you what to do.

Do you ever get the urge to stick a pencil in your ear to relieve the pressure of this nonsense?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th July 2014 - 01:49 PM