Mets want to Win
Batman Forever
post Apr 6 2012, 09:05 AM
Post #1

Rookie
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,680

Michael Weiner, the executive director of the Players Association, made his annual stop at Mets camp Thursday and provided some vocal support for the team's embattled ownership. Weiner said Fred Wilpon has "some goodwill in the bank.

"The Wilpons want to win," said Weiner, who held a players-only meeting for roughly 90 minutes. "I don't know much about the legal circumstances. But the Wilpons have been strong owners, and whatever's happening outside with respect to them is happening outside. The way they've conducted themselves throughout their tenure is what I'm relying on."
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
angy
post Apr 6 2012, 09:39 AM
Post #2

Superstar
Group Icon

Group: Validated Members
Member No.: 1,147

QUOTE (Batman Forever @ Apr 6 2012, 10:05 AM) *
Michael Weiner, the executive director of the Players Association, made his annual stop at Mets camp Thursday and provided some vocal support for the team's embattled ownership. Weiner said Fred Wilpon has "some goodwill in the bank.

"The Wilpons want to win," said Weiner, who held a players-only meeting for roughly 90 minutes. "I don't know much about the legal circumstances. But the Wilpons have been strong owners, and whatever's happening outside with respect to them is happening outside. The way they've conducted themselves throughout their tenure is what I'm relying on."

What did you expect from a Wilpon personal friend and celebrating Passover with them. I do agree with his comment "they want to win". What Owner doesn't. However they want to win without spending money!

+Quote Post
Batman Forever
post Apr 6 2012, 11:33 AM
Post #3

Rookie
Group Icon

QUOTE (angy @ Apr 6 2012, 09:39 AM) *
What did you expect from a Wilpon personal friend and celebrating Passover with them. I do agree with his comment "they want to win". What Owner doesn't. However they want to win without spending money!

Wow, so what does the Wilpon's religion have to do with anything?

And why do you make up then that they celebrate passover together?

And then to deny all the money they spent as if it never happened?

All I can say is wow.

+Quote Post
younghem
post Apr 6 2012, 11:57 AM
Post #4

Group Icon

Group: Mods
Member No.: 210

The Pirates ownership wants their team to win too. They're never going to sign any big free agents and they're going to have a low payroll.

So, the Mets really are like the Pirates !

Thanks for clearing that up.

+Quote Post
Milner60
post Apr 6 2012, 12:44 PM
Post #5

Veteran
Group Icon

Member No.: 294

QUOTE (Batman Forever @ Apr 6 2012, 10:05 AM) *

Batman, I'm not sure what this adds to the general view of the Wilpons. I have always assumed that they want to win but the evidence that

- they do not know how to build a team to win
- they are not as good as other owners at making choices that are financially sound for them and equally sound baseball-wise

outweighs any desire to win they may have. You can't keep avoiding the evidence so far, regardless of whether you are optimistic of what will happen this year and the in the coming years. You are also free to believe that the Wilpons are good owners, but their track record at building successful teams in their tenure is worse than the majority of the other owners in MLB. I would say the same thing to Michael Weiner. The fact they are strong owners in his opinion has little to do with winning on the field since his job is to advocate for player salary and welfare not for teams winning records. The job of Michael Weiner is to push owners to take care of the well-being of the players in his association, not to push them to win. If the Wilpons won every year by screwing the players with their contracts, they would be successful but not be popular with Michael Weiner. Charley Finley owned one of the most successful teams in baseball history when he ran the A's in the early 70's, but he was publicly hated by his players because he underpaid them as much as he could.

The fact that the Wilpons want to win is not the issue; it's their ability to build a winning team over time.... no evidence of that in their tenure.

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
angy
post Apr 6 2012, 01:02 PM
Post #6

Superstar
Group Icon

QUOTE (Batman Forever @ Apr 6 2012, 12:33 PM) *
Wow, so what does the Wilpon's religion have to do with anything?

And why do you make up then that they celebrate passover together?

And then to deny all the money they spent as if it never happened?

All I can say is wow.

You mean all the money they wasted.
And religion had nothing to do with my comment. I was just trying to emphasize the bias in Mr weiner's comments.
Ask Mike Francessca what he thinks. He has no bias.
Wow!

+Quote Post
Batman Forever
post Apr 6 2012, 02:53 PM
Post #7

Rookie
Group Icon

QUOTE (angy @ Apr 6 2012, 01:02 PM) *
You mean all the money they wasted.
And religion had nothing to do with my comment. I was just trying to emphasize the bias in Mr weiner's comments.
Ask Mike Francessca what he thinks. He has no bias.
Wow!

You brought up the religion of the wilpons, and are now doubling down on that point.

Lets leave the rest unsaid, and I will keep your future posts on the Wilpons in persective.

Wow, its 2012.

+Quote Post
Cactus
post Apr 6 2012, 04:39 PM
Post #8

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 159

QUOTE (Batman Forever @ Apr 6 2012, 02:53 PM) *
You brought up the religion of the wilpons, and are now doubling down on that point.

Lets leave the rest unsaid, and I will keep your future posts on the Wilpons in persective.

Wow, its 2012.

i think the poster made it very clear what he was posting about.

your time will be short here if you start accusing posters on this board of religious bias.

--------------------
'-|-'

- "Mr. Jeff Wilpon has decided that he’s going to learn how to run a baseball team and take over at the end of the year… Run for the hills, boys. I think probably all those baseball people will bail… Jeff sits there by himself like he’s King Tut waiting for his camel.” - Nelson Doubleday
- "In today's regulatory environment, it's virtually impossible to violate rules." - Bernard Madoff, 10/20/07
The Washington Post decided not to cover Ralph Nader's presidential campaign because he had no chance of winning. Nader's response: "Then why are you covering the Nationals?"
- Asked by the Post about the younger Wilpon's job performance, Fred Wilpon said: "Excellent. Everybody knows ...that."
- "The word 'autonomy' is sometimes misused." - Jeff Wilpon
- "Let’s give Jeff Wilpon the benefit of the doubt here for a moment. Let’s say he is not short-tempered. Tone deaf. A credit seeker. An accountability deflector. A micro-manager. A second-guesser. A less-than-deep thinker. And bad at self-awareness. Fine, he’s none of these things. But here is the problem: This is his perception in the industry." - Joel Sherman
- “Jeff is the problem with the organization, and he is never going to realize that. He cannot help himself. He has to be involved. He will never hire anyone who will not let him have major input. He will not hire anyone who does not run every personnel decision through him.” - Anonymous NL Executive
- "The only person with a worse reputation than Jeff Wilpon in the game is David Samson." - Anonymous AL executive
- "[Mets GM Omar Minaya] isn’t the General Manager. Jeff Wilpon is. Omar’s the one out there to take the heat.” - Peter Gammons
- [Jeff Wilpon's] role in management, according to one official who worked for him, "is to act as president and CEO of second-guessing."
- "I always want Mets fans on my juries," said one noted defense attorney friend, a rabid Yankees fan. "They love losers, even three-time losers like some of my clients. And if Mets fans believe anything the Mets front office says, I can convince them to acquit anybody." - Denis Hamill
- I got a call the other day. They noted I had been a long term season ticket holder and asked if I was interested. I immediately exclaimed "I'm so sorry for the Wilpon Family". He asked what I meant. I told the guy if he looked in my file, he'd see a note to call me after both Fred and Jeff dropped dead, and not a day before. - Meanballer

+Quote Post
Batman Forever
post Apr 6 2012, 05:11 PM
Post #9

Rookie
Group Icon

QUOTE (Cactus @ Apr 6 2012, 04:39 PM) *
i think the poster made it very clear what he was posting about.

your time will be short here if you start accusing posters on this board of religious bias.

As we are a few minutes from celebrating Passover, I found Angy's post concerning as a Jew myself. Not sure how one can make that connection, or how someone else could then condone it and threaten someone for politely taking the high road and not enaging down that road.

happy pesach to all here who celebrate.

+Quote Post
Cactus
post Apr 7 2012, 11:09 AM
Post #10

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 159

when you make spurious accusations towards long time posters, and continue with it after he explained himself, you're causing trouble. so let's leave it at that, and avoid it in the future.

--------------------
'-|-'

- "Mr. Jeff Wilpon has decided that he’s going to learn how to run a baseball team and take over at the end of the year… Run for the hills, boys. I think probably all those baseball people will bail… Jeff sits there by himself like he’s King Tut waiting for his camel.” - Nelson Doubleday
- "In today's regulatory environment, it's virtually impossible to violate rules." - Bernard Madoff, 10/20/07
The Washington Post decided not to cover Ralph Nader's presidential campaign because he had no chance of winning. Nader's response: "Then why are you covering the Nationals?"
- Asked by the Post about the younger Wilpon's job performance, Fred Wilpon said: "Excellent. Everybody knows ...that."
- "The word 'autonomy' is sometimes misused." - Jeff Wilpon
- "Let’s give Jeff Wilpon the benefit of the doubt here for a moment. Let’s say he is not short-tempered. Tone deaf. A credit seeker. An accountability deflector. A micro-manager. A second-guesser. A less-than-deep thinker. And bad at self-awareness. Fine, he’s none of these things. But here is the problem: This is his perception in the industry." - Joel Sherman
- “Jeff is the problem with the organization, and he is never going to realize that. He cannot help himself. He has to be involved. He will never hire anyone who will not let him have major input. He will not hire anyone who does not run every personnel decision through him.” - Anonymous NL Executive
- "The only person with a worse reputation than Jeff Wilpon in the game is David Samson." - Anonymous AL executive
- "[Mets GM Omar Minaya] isn’t the General Manager. Jeff Wilpon is. Omar’s the one out there to take the heat.” - Peter Gammons
- [Jeff Wilpon's] role in management, according to one official who worked for him, "is to act as president and CEO of second-guessing."
- "I always want Mets fans on my juries," said one noted defense attorney friend, a rabid Yankees fan. "They love losers, even three-time losers like some of my clients. And if Mets fans believe anything the Mets front office says, I can convince them to acquit anybody." - Denis Hamill
- I got a call the other day. They noted I had been a long term season ticket holder and asked if I was interested. I immediately exclaimed "I'm so sorry for the Wilpon Family". He asked what I meant. I told the guy if he looked in my file, he'd see a note to call me after both Fred and Jeff dropped dead, and not a day before. - Meanballer

+Quote Post
Batman Forever
post Apr 7 2012, 01:02 PM
Post #11

Rookie
Group Icon

QUOTE (Cactus @ Apr 7 2012, 11:09 AM) *
when you make spurious accusations towards long time posters, and continue with it after he explained himself, you're causing trouble. so let's leave it at that, and avoid it in the future.

No problem, I just hope that we all can be sensitive here, whether we are a new poster or a long time poster. Spurious comments regarding religion, don't add value to a mets board.

Lets go mets, I believe we will be 2-0 today!!! DWright bomb!!!

+Quote Post
Batman Forever
post Apr 9 2012, 07:39 PM
Post #12

Rookie
Group Icon

Captain Kirk wants to win! Congrats on hitting first mlb HR!!!

AND MURPHY WITH THE METS FIRST WALKOFF HIT OF THE YEAR. AND THE METS WIN!!!!!

4-0 BABY -- GOTTA BELIEVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+Quote Post
MeanBaller
post Apr 10 2012, 03:50 PM
Post #13

Superstar
Group Icon

Member No.: 684

Yes, they want to win. And every child wants an ice cream cone for breakfast. So what.

+Quote Post
Lostmet
post Apr 12 2012, 11:03 AM
Post #14

Veteran
Group Icon

Member No.: 604

QUOTE (Batman Forever @ Apr 6 2012, 06:11 PM) *
As we are a few minutes from celebrating Passover, I found Angy's post concerning as a Jew myself. Not sure how one can make that connection, or how someone else could then condone it and threaten someone for politely taking the high road and not enaging down that road.

happy pesach to all here who celebrate.

Happy belated Passover. Please put the PC manual down.

+Quote Post
Batman Forever
post Apr 12 2012, 11:42 AM
Post #15

Rookie
Group Icon

QUOTE (Lostmet @ Apr 12 2012, 11:03 AM) *
Happy belated Passover. Please put the PC manual down.

Thanks LostMet. It actually still is Passover.

I think we can all enjoy talking about the Mets without injecting religion into the discussion. Or at least have fun trying.

+Quote Post
Batman Forever
post Apr 13 2012, 10:30 PM
Post #16

Rookie
Group Icon

QUOTE (MeanBaller @ Apr 10 2012, 04:50 PM) *
Yes, they want to win. And every child wants an ice cream cone for breakfast. So what.

Kids these days want Nutella.

And Mets fans are celebrating the Mets beating the phillies with Cliff Lee on the mound at Citizens Park. Nice win!!!

Next up Niese for the series !!!

+Quote Post
angy
post Apr 14 2012, 12:02 AM
Post #17

Superstar
Group Icon

QUOTE (Batman Forever @ Apr 13 2012, 11:30 PM) *
Kids these days want Nutella.

And Mets fans are celebrating the Mets beating the phillies with Cliff Lee on the mound at Citizens Park. Nice win!!!

Next up Niese for the series !!!

Where were you for the past to losses to Washington. If you're only awake when they win you may have to change your name from batman to rip van winkel.

+Quote Post
Batman Forever
post Apr 14 2012, 08:33 AM
Post #18

Rookie
Group Icon

QUOTE (angy @ Apr 14 2012, 01:02 AM) *
Where were you for the past to losses to Washington. If you're only awake when they win you may have to change your name from batman to rip van winkel.

Angy, sorry the Mets are 5-2 and off to a great start. Another victory today would be great confidence boost for this young exciting team.

Enjoy the ride, because I said this team will surprise some people this year. They are playing to win, are not afraid to lose some a long the way.

As a fan, you should be excited my friend.

+Quote Post
Batman Forever
post Apr 14 2012, 07:01 PM
Post #19

Rookie
Group Icon

AND THE METS WIN!!!!! 6-2. Win series over Philly!!!!!!

+Quote Post
mikevailrules
post Apr 14 2012, 09:42 PM
Post #20

Veteran
Group Icon

Member No.: 291

another great game for our boys

Let's go Mets!!!

--------------------
Tell your statistics to shut up

+Quote Post
JerseyScott
post Apr 21 2012, 10:50 AM
Post #21

Superstar
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,221

nothing from nothing, but....

I understand batman's concerns regarding the original post. It certainly had undertones of a sort....... smile.gif

--------------------
"Punk is whatever we made it to be"

+Quote Post
Batman Forever
post May 7 2012, 09:13 PM
Post #22

Rookie
Group Icon

Great win for this exciting young team!

Beating the phils on the road with halladay on the mound.

And doing it with valdespin going yard off of papelbon.

Wow!

+Quote Post
Pauly B
post May 7 2012, 09:18 PM
Post #23

Minor Leaguer
Group Icon

Member No.: 8,486

QUOTE (Batman Forever @ May 7 2012, 10:13 PM) *
Great win for this exciting young team!

Beating the phils on the road with halladay on the mound.

And doing it with valdespin going yard off of papelbon.

Wow!

Another amazing win for the amazinz. Farm system is solid and our bullpen is strong. It's so good to be a Met fan in 2012!

+Quote Post
Milner60
post May 7 2012, 09:35 PM
Post #24

Veteran
Group Icon

Member No.: 294

Always cool to win an exciting game.

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
Batman Forever
post May 8 2012, 09:39 PM
Post #25

Rookie
Group Icon

Put it in the books. Another win, another series win. 17-13.

Thats 30 games and now we have a reasonable sample. These young players have tasted success and collins is motivating them to play hard.

As predicted this team is exciting and surprising people!

+Quote Post
Batman Forever
post May 23 2012, 09:58 PM
Post #26

Rookie
Group Icon

Another solid win, another series win.

YA gotta believe!!!!!

24-20

+Quote Post
JerseyScott
post May 24 2012, 06:04 AM
Post #27

Superstar
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,221

We need to keep it rolling and beat up on the Padres this weekend. It would be a good time to pad the win column.

--------------------
"Punk is whatever we made it to be"

+Quote Post
Batman Forever
post May 24 2012, 08:13 AM
Post #28

Rookie
Group Icon

QUOTE (JerseyScott @ May 24 2012, 06:04 AM) *
We need to keep it rolling and beat up on the Padres this weekend. It would be a good time to pad the win column.

Pad against the Pods!!!!

I like it. Like it a lot.

Longest homestand of the season here 11 games. Good deal after playing 18 of 25 on road.

+Quote Post
MeanBaller
post May 24 2012, 12:22 PM
Post #29

Superstar
Group Icon

Member No.: 684

QUOTE (Batman Forever @ May 23 2012, 09:58 PM) *
Another solid win, another series win.

YA gotta believe!!!!!

24-20

Look at the progress since the post before this one. 17-13 to 24-20. Better than I expected. But worth getting excited over? No way.

+Quote Post
angy
post May 24 2012, 01:24 PM
Post #30

Superstar
Group Icon

QUOTE (MeanBaller @ May 24 2012, 01:22 PM) *
Look at the progress since the post before this one. 17-13 to 24-20. Better than I expected. But worth getting excited over? No way.

Yes and No. I still have to give credit to all the optemists for the Mets play to date. I would like to see the Mets keep it up but my confidence in the leadership at the very top doesn't give me the confidence. Hopefully the Mets make the playoffs and I will offer my apologies to all the early optemists.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st October 2014 - 05:30 AM