Interesting Stat, Post Season Play
MeanBaller
post Apr 8 2012, 04:53 PM
Post #1

Superstar
Group Icon

Group: Validated Members
Member No.: 684

Since 1996, the Mets have played in 34 post season games. That's an average of 2 a year. They made it three times, which averages once every 5.67 seasons.

During the same time, the Yankees have played in 152 post season games or an average of 9 games a year. They have made it 16 of 17 times.

A tale of one city............................

Notice I'm not mentioning money. However they do it - THEY DO IT. The Mets don't. Easy Peasy - not hard to figure
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Batman Forever
post Apr 8 2012, 06:27 PM
Post #2

Rookie
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,680

QUOTE (MeanBaller @ Apr 8 2012, 05:53 PM) *
Since 1996, the Mets have played in 34 post season games. That's an average of 2 a year. They made it three times, which averages once every 5.67 seasons.

During the same time, the Yankees have played in 152 post season games or an average of 9 games a year. They have made it 16 of 17 times.

A tale of one city............................

Notice I'm not mentioning money. However they do it - THEY DO IT. The Mets don't. Easy Peasy - not hard to figure

The Yankees swept to championships with home-grown talent like Jeter, center fielder Bernie Williams, catcher Jorge Posada and pitchers Andy Pettitte and Mariano Rivera.

Watch now the Mets building the nucleus of a winner through the farm system. Thats how the Mets will do it, too. Build it and we'll win!

LETS GO METS!!!!!

+Quote Post
MeanBaller
post Apr 9 2012, 10:24 AM
Post #3

Superstar
Group Icon

Trends tend to continue until they don't. Sometimes it takes an inflection point. In the case of the Yankees, the inflection point was the three year suspension of George Steinbrenner which resulted in true baseball people running all aspects of the franchise. That produced the core of homegrown and traded for talent that provided the run that, together with the intelligent use of cable rights ON BEHALF OF THE TEAM, produced the wealth that has resulted in post season appearances in 15 of 16 years. There was a paradigm shift.

The Mets, on the other hand, have not had that inflection point that interfered with the management of the team. As one can see from the pathetic decision to play a meaningless Mets/Yankees spring training game, Alderson has no real authority. Certainly not the authority that guys like Michael, Showalter and Watson had in the early 90s. If a GM can't protect his team from such a small, meaningless matter that produced small money, why would anyone ever think that he has the authority to make player moves involving similar small amounts of money?

The Wilpons - at least for now - remain in complete control of the team. And while they have young people all over the place, that's not a function of deciding to rebuild from within, it's a function of reducing payroll. The team has not had highly ranked farm players for a long time relative to the peer group that the farm hands are measured against. You hear all about top draft picks working their way up the system, but few of them are considered to be of a class that one would reasonably expect to form the core of a team like the Yankees put together. Recently, ESPN ranked the Mets farm system 22 out of 30. Others have been more generous - placing the Mets at 15 of 30, or middle of the pack.

The Mets are NOT putting together a core of a team that will be the engine of success where they will be perennial contenders. Not yet. They have two young position players (Murphy and Duda) who are best suited as DH's. They have an unproven SS, weak starters, below average catching and a thin bench.

Good luck to all who are wishing and hoping and thinking and praying about a truly competitive team over a span of years - something a NY team ought not to have trouble doing.
planning and dreaming

+Quote Post
Batman Forever
post Apr 9 2012, 11:02 AM
Post #4

Rookie
Group Icon

QUOTE (MeanBaller @ Apr 9 2012, 10:24 AM) *
Trends tend to continue until they don't. Sometimes it takes an inflection point. In the case of the Yankees, the inflection point was the three year suspension of George Steinbrenner which resulted in true baseball people running all aspects of the franchise. That produced the core of homegrown and traded for talent that provided the run that, together with the intelligent use of cable rights ON BEHALF OF THE TEAM, produced the wealth that has resulted in post season appearances in 15 of 16 years. There was a paradigm shift.

The Mets, on the other hand, have not had that inflection point that interfered with the management of the team. As one can see from the pathetic decision to play a meaningless Mets/Yankees spring training game, Alderson has no real authority. Certainly not the authority that guys like Michael, Showalter and Watson had in the early 90s. If a GM can't protect his team from such a small, meaningless matter that produced small money, why would anyone ever think that he has the authority to make player moves involving similar small amounts of money?

The Wilpons - at least for now - remain in complete control of the team. And while they have young people all over the place, that's not a function of deciding to rebuild from within, it's a function of reducing payroll. The team has not had highly ranked farm players for a long time relative to the peer group that the farm hands are measured against. You hear all about top draft picks working their way up the system, but few of them are considered to be of a class that one would reasonably expect to form the core of a team like the Yankees put together. Recently, ESPN ranked the Mets farm system 22 out of 30. Others have been more generous - placing the Mets at 15 of 30, or middle of the pack.

The Mets are NOT putting together a core of a team that will be the engine of success where they will be perennial contenders. Not yet. They have two young position players (Murphy and Duda) who are best suited as DH's. They have an unproven SS, weak starters, below average catching and a thin bench.

Good luck to all who are wishing and hoping and thinking and praying about a truly competitive team over a span of years - something a NY team ought not to have trouble doing.
planning and dreaming

If the wilpons wanted to dominate control over baseball decisions, they would not have invested so heavily in a trio of baseball executives to run day to day operations. Those guys are the experts and they will choose the talent from drafting to roster creation. I trust and believe they have the baseball pedigree necessary to build a winner. They are not the past, and cannot change the past. But they will dominate the future. That is reality based and the core built will blend those skills needed to win. It will not happen in a few weeks. Are you in for the ride? I will be there, because I believe in my team. For life.

+Quote Post
Cactus
post Apr 9 2012, 11:13 AM
Post #5

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 159

QUOTE (Batman Forever @ Apr 9 2012, 11:02 AM) *
If the wilpons wanted to dominate control over baseball decisions, they would not have invested so heavily in a trio of baseball executives to run day to day operations. Those guys are the experts and they will choose the talent from drafting to roster creation. I trust and believe they have the baseball pedigree necessary to build a winner. They are not the past, and cannot change the past. But they will dominate the future. That is reality based and the core built will blend those skills needed to win. It will not happen in a few weeks. Are you in for the ride? I will be there, because I believe in my team. For life.

you can believe whatever you want, but it's not reality based.

--------------------
'-|-'

- "Mr. Jeff Wilpon has decided that he’s going to learn how to run a baseball team and take over at the end of the year… Run for the hills, boys. I think probably all those baseball people will bail… Jeff sits there by himself like he’s King Tut waiting for his camel.” - Nelson Doubleday
- "In today's regulatory environment, it's virtually impossible to violate rules." - Bernard Madoff, 10/20/07
The Washington Post decided not to cover Ralph Nader's presidential campaign because he had no chance of winning. Nader's response: "Then why are you covering the Nationals?"
- Asked by the Post about the younger Wilpon's job performance, Fred Wilpon said: "Excellent. Everybody knows ...that."
- "The word 'autonomy' is sometimes misused." - Jeff Wilpon
- "Let’s give Jeff Wilpon the benefit of the doubt here for a moment. Let’s say he is not short-tempered. Tone deaf. A credit seeker. An accountability deflector. A micro-manager. A second-guesser. A less-than-deep thinker. And bad at self-awareness. Fine, he’s none of these things. But here is the problem: This is his perception in the industry." - Joel Sherman
- “Jeff is the problem with the organization, and he is never going to realize that. He cannot help himself. He has to be involved. He will never hire anyone who will not let him have major input. He will not hire anyone who does not run every personnel decision through him.” - Anonymous NL Executive
- "The only person with a worse reputation than Jeff Wilpon in the game is David Samson." - Anonymous AL executive
- "[Mets GM Omar Minaya] isn’t the General Manager. Jeff Wilpon is. Omar’s the one out there to take the heat.” - Peter Gammons
- [Jeff Wilpon's] role in management, according to one official who worked for him, "is to act as president and CEO of second-guessing."
- "I always want Mets fans on my juries," said one noted defense attorney friend, a rabid Yankees fan. "They love losers, even three-time losers like some of my clients. And if Mets fans believe anything the Mets front office says, I can convince them to acquit anybody." - Denis Hamill
- I got a call the other day. They noted I had been a long term season ticket holder and asked if I was interested. I immediately exclaimed "I'm so sorry for the Wilpon Family". He asked what I meant. I told the guy if he looked in my file, he'd see a note to call me after both Fred and Jeff dropped dead, and not a day before. - Meanballer

+Quote Post
MeanBaller
post Apr 9 2012, 11:24 AM
Post #6

Superstar
Group Icon

QUOTE (Cactus @ Apr 9 2012, 11:13 AM) *

Stop and think about it....

If the Alderson trio doesn't have the juice to prevent the Mets from playing a pointless game against the Yankees for a few hundred grand the day before Opening day, what authority does that trio have in shaping a team that has far more consequences?

The question answers itself - the answer is little to none.

This is consistent with past practices - at the outset of Omar's tenure, while he was still riding high, let it be known to the press that he wanted to go north with a middle reliever, something that would cost very little. And he also let it be known that ownership said no. Then there were the countless articles of Jeff Wilpon going into bullpen sessions to watch potential fifth starters throw - something that would only happen if he were denying his GM the ability to make that kind of decision.

Like I said - trends tend to continue. Inflection points can change trends. We have had no inflection point.

+Quote Post
Batman Forever
post Apr 9 2012, 11:26 AM
Post #7

Rookie
Group Icon

QUOTE (Cactus @ Apr 9 2012, 12:13 PM) *

And why is that?

+Quote Post
Batman Forever
post Apr 9 2012, 11:27 AM
Post #8

Rookie
Group Icon

QUOTE (MeanBaller @ Apr 9 2012, 12:24 PM) *
Stop and think about it....

If the Alderson trio doesn't have the juice to prevent the Mets from playing a pointless game against the Yankees for a few hundred grand the day before Opening day, what authority does that trio have in shaping a team that has far more consequences?

The question answers itself - the answer is little to none.

This is consistent with past practices - at the outset of Omar's tenure, while he was still riding high, let it be known to the press that he wanted to go north with a middle reliever, something that would cost very little. And he also let it be known that ownership said no. Then there were the countless articles of Jeff Wilpon going into bullpen sessions to watch potential fifth starters throw - something that would only happen if he were denying his GM the ability to make that kind of decision.

Like I said - trends tend to continue. Inflection points can change trends. We have had no inflection point.

Inflection point was hiring three of the best and brightest baseball minds to run the franchise.

+Quote Post
MeanBaller
post Apr 9 2012, 11:36 AM
Post #9

Superstar
Group Icon

QUOTE (Cactus @ Apr 9 2012, 11:13 AM) *

Whatever one says....

It's a damning stat. Making the post season 3 times in 17 years - and it's really twice when you consider they once did it back to back, meaning that only twice did the Mets have a "run". One single year run and one two year run.

Other than that, nothing but frustration.

So why anyone thinks that people who delivered that can snap their fingers and do it differently is beyond me. No one can rationally expect that, or be excited about such a "prospect" - there is simply no basis for it. Prove it should be the watch word.

+Quote Post
Cactus
post Apr 9 2012, 11:36 AM
Post #10

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 159

QUOTE (Batman Forever @ Apr 9 2012, 11:27 AM) *
Inflection point was hiring three of the best and brightest baseball minds to run the franchise.

somehow i doubt that - because by not trading reyes last year and not even making an offer to him in the offseason, they're either not even close to being three of the best and brightest baseball minds, or not even close to running the franchise.

--------------------
'-|-'

- "Mr. Jeff Wilpon has decided that he’s going to learn how to run a baseball team and take over at the end of the year… Run for the hills, boys. I think probably all those baseball people will bail… Jeff sits there by himself like he’s King Tut waiting for his camel.” - Nelson Doubleday
- "In today's regulatory environment, it's virtually impossible to violate rules." - Bernard Madoff, 10/20/07
The Washington Post decided not to cover Ralph Nader's presidential campaign because he had no chance of winning. Nader's response: "Then why are you covering the Nationals?"
- Asked by the Post about the younger Wilpon's job performance, Fred Wilpon said: "Excellent. Everybody knows ...that."
- "The word 'autonomy' is sometimes misused." - Jeff Wilpon
- "Let’s give Jeff Wilpon the benefit of the doubt here for a moment. Let’s say he is not short-tempered. Tone deaf. A credit seeker. An accountability deflector. A micro-manager. A second-guesser. A less-than-deep thinker. And bad at self-awareness. Fine, he’s none of these things. But here is the problem: This is his perception in the industry." - Joel Sherman
- “Jeff is the problem with the organization, and he is never going to realize that. He cannot help himself. He has to be involved. He will never hire anyone who will not let him have major input. He will not hire anyone who does not run every personnel decision through him.” - Anonymous NL Executive
- "The only person with a worse reputation than Jeff Wilpon in the game is David Samson." - Anonymous AL executive
- "[Mets GM Omar Minaya] isn’t the General Manager. Jeff Wilpon is. Omar’s the one out there to take the heat.” - Peter Gammons
- [Jeff Wilpon's] role in management, according to one official who worked for him, "is to act as president and CEO of second-guessing."
- "I always want Mets fans on my juries," said one noted defense attorney friend, a rabid Yankees fan. "They love losers, even three-time losers like some of my clients. And if Mets fans believe anything the Mets front office says, I can convince them to acquit anybody." - Denis Hamill
- I got a call the other day. They noted I had been a long term season ticket holder and asked if I was interested. I immediately exclaimed "I'm so sorry for the Wilpon Family". He asked what I meant. I told the guy if he looked in my file, he'd see a note to call me after both Fred and Jeff dropped dead, and not a day before. - Meanballer

+Quote Post
Batman Forever
post Apr 9 2012, 11:51 AM
Post #11

Rookie
Group Icon

QUOTE (MeanBaller @ Apr 9 2012, 12:36 PM) *
Whatever one says....

It's a damning stat. Making the post season 3 times in 17 years - and it's really twice when you consider they once did it back to back, meaning that only twice did the Mets have a "run". One single year run and one two year run.

Other than that, nothing but frustration.

So why anyone thinks that people who delivered that can snap their fingers and do it differently is beyond me. No one can rationally expect that, or be excited about such a "prospect" - there is simply no basis for it. Prove it should be the watch word.

So if a team who endured even more frustration, making the playoffs once in 23 years in recent memory they cannot change course. There would be no basis for it. No one should be excited.

But wait that team based in the northeast built a new stadium, rebuilt their team. Guess what they have made the playoffs five years straight including a world series title.

It has been done it has been proven right in front of us. Might be beyond you as you say, but lets watch it happen next here in flushing.

+Quote Post
MeanBaller
post Apr 9 2012, 03:20 PM
Post #12

Superstar
Group Icon

Mr. Giles, is a man who has a baseball background, unlike the idiots who think they are running the Mets. Beyond that, he's hired qualified baseball people to actually make baseball decisions. And to the extent that Giles participates, he actually was trained and experienced in the world of baseball. He didn't come to baseball because he made money selling shoes, renting real estate or building boats.

What's more, he has opened his wallet to the point that even though he is in a smaller market by a decent order of magnitude, he outspends the Mets payroll wise and does so without gouging the fans with ridiculously priced tickets. The tickets at the Phillies new park are less on average than the tickets at Shea in the Mets last year.

But why confuse facts with wishing and hoping and thinking and praying.................

+Quote Post
Batman Forever
post Apr 9 2012, 04:04 PM
Post #13

Rookie
Group Icon

QUOTE (MeanBaller @ Apr 9 2012, 04:20 PM) *
Mr. Giles, is a man who has a baseball background, unlike the idiots who think they are running the Mets. Beyond that, he's hired qualified baseball people to actually make baseball decisions. And to the extent that Giles participates, he actually was trained and experienced in the world of baseball. He didn't come to baseball because he made money selling shoes, renting real estate or building boats.

What's more, he has opened his wallet to the point that even though he is in a smaller market by a decent order of magnitude, he outspends the Mets payroll wise and does so without gouging the fans with ridiculously priced tickets. The tickets at the Phillies new park are less on average than the tickets at Shea in the Mets last year.

But why confuse facts with wishing and hoping and thinking and praying.................

You mean when you don't like facts, you dismiss them. The clarity and reality of educated reasoning seems to make you change the subject.

So an owner who failed for 22 of 23 years turned things around by hiring quality baseball men. Sounds very much like hiring top guys like alderson, depodesta, etc.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Not their own facts.

+Quote Post
MeanBaller
post Apr 10 2012, 08:31 AM
Post #14

Superstar
Group Icon

QUOTE (Batman Forever @ Apr 9 2012, 04:04 PM) *
You mean when you don't like facts, you dismiss them. The clarity and reality of educated reasoning seems to make you change the subject.

So an owner who failed for 22 of 23 years turned things around by hiring quality baseball men. Sounds very much like hiring top guys like alderson, depodesta, etc.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Not their own facts.

Dream on. I understand that your goal is to simply aggravate people who won't jump on your joyous bandwagon. The Phillies are NOT like the Mets and my post made that clear. Alderson, DePodesta and company do NOT have the authority or ability to turn things around the way that the Phillies did. If they did, they NEVER would have allowed Jose Reyes to get away from the Mets for next to nothing. Heck, the Phillies - JUST THIS WINTER - were faced with the issue of whether to keep or let their own franchise shortstop leave the team. They kept him and signed him to a contract the size of which the Mets haven't given out since Jason Bay. And he was older and hadn't had a stellar year since 2007 as compared to the Mets first batting champion in franchise history. They let him get away for NOTHING.

These guys have proven that their power is extremely limited - they couldn't even protect their team from a meaningless spring training game the day before Opening Day, all for less than the price of a minimum salary rookie.

Those are FACTS. All you have to offer is steroidal hopes. Although I don't even believe that. I think you right this trash because you simply want to annoy people who see things for what they are, not for what they want them to be.

+Quote Post
Batman Forever
post Apr 10 2012, 08:57 AM
Post #15

Rookie
Group Icon

QUOTE (MeanBaller @ Apr 10 2012, 09:31 AM) *
Dream on. I understand that your goal is to simply aggravate people who won't jump on your joyous bandwagon. The Phillies are NOT like the Mets and my post made that clear. Alderson, DePodesta and company do NOT have the authority or ability to turn things around the way that the Phillies did. If they did, they NEVER would have allowed Jose Reyes to get away from the Mets for next to nothing. Heck, the Phillies - JUST THIS WINTER - were faced with the issue of whether to keep or let their own franchise shortstop leave the team. They kept him and signed him to a contract the size of which the Mets haven't given out since Jason Bay. And he was older and hadn't had a stellar year since 2007 as compared to the Mets first batting champion in franchise history. They let him get away for NOTHING.

These guys have proven that their power is extremely limited - they couldn't even protect their team from a meaningless spring training game the day before Opening Day, all for less than the price of a minimum salary rookie.

Those are FACTS. All you have to offer is steroidal hopes. Although I don't even believe that. I think you right this trash because you simply want to annoy people who see things for what they are, not for what they want them to be.

Wonder in what capacity you work for the Mets. You claim to present as fact the inside decision making process of the front office that you could not have access to, unless you were an executive with the team.

Making up your own facts makes them a fantasy. Rambling rants of an angry person, removed from reality. Sorry the team's success and the optimism of loyal fanatical fans "annoys" you.

+Quote Post
MeanBaller
post Apr 10 2012, 10:50 AM
Post #16

Superstar
Group Icon

QUOTE (Batman Forever @ Apr 10 2012, 09:57 AM) *
Wonder in what capacity you work for the Mets. You claim to present as fact the inside decision making process of the front office that you could not have access to, unless you were an executive with the team.

Making up your own facts makes them a fantasy. Rambling rants of an angry person, removed from reality. Sorry the team's success and the optimism of loyal fanatical fans "annoys" you.

No - all I have to do is read the newspapers with my rose colored glasses in the drawer....

From the reliable and respected Bill Madden's April 4th column:

I’m told that GM Sandy Alderson apologized to the team for this spring-ending insanity. Presumably, it was out of his control, too — a decision from above, all designed to replenish the Mets’ empty coffers with the proceeds from one last sold-out exhibition game at Digital Domain Park in Port St. Lucie Tuesday. According to MLB sources, when the Mets’ higher-ups learned the Yankees were scheduled to make a rare trip to the east coast of Florida at the end of spring training to open up the new Miami ballpark, they asked if they would consider extending their Sun Coast stay an extra day to play a game in Port St. Lucie.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

+Quote Post
Batman Forever
post Apr 10 2012, 11:20 AM
Post #17

Rookie
Group Icon

QUOTE (MeanBaller @ Apr 10 2012, 10:50 AM) *
No - all I have to do is read the newspapers with my rose colored glasses in the drawer....

From the reliable and respected Bill Madden's April 4th column:

Sorry to burst your bubble.

You do not know what control and autonomy Alderson and team have for decisions. An exhibition game has no bearing on talent acquisition, btw. Sorry you are annoyed the team is doing so well. Lets hope it continues, and believe in this team and the construction of a winner will be exciting for many years to come. Hope you join in the fun.

+Quote Post
MeanBaller
post Apr 10 2012, 11:48 AM
Post #18

Superstar
Group Icon

QUOTE (Batman Forever @ Apr 10 2012, 12:20 PM) *
You do not know what control and autonomy Alderson and team have for decisions. An exhibition game has no bearing on talent acquisition, btw. Sorry you are annoyed the team is doing so well. Lets hope it continues, and believe in this team and the construction of a winner will be exciting for many years to come. Hope you join in the fun.

I agree with you. The exhibition game is a far smaller issue than how to construct and manage a team's roster. And if Alderson et al objected to the game and couldn't talk his masters out of it, he certainly is not going to be able to influence them on far more important matters like personnel.

By the way, appropos the issue of player personnel issues, I notice that it is you who are the one who ignores inconvenient facts. You raised the issue of the Phillies as a model for the Mets and when I pointed out that the Phillies kept their aging shortstop with an expensive new contract whereas the new management team you are counting on to do a similar repair job in Flushing apparently let Reyes go for next to nothing even though he is a younger player coming off a batting title.

So either Alderson et al doesn't have the authority that you think he has or they aren't as smart as you think they are. By the way, how would you know he has authority, to borrow your arguing style. Unless you are an executive or have inside information, anything you offer is suppostion. At least I have clear evidence of the man admitting that he didn't have the pull to get something small done.

+Quote Post
MeanBaller
post Apr 10 2012, 12:24 PM
Post #19

Superstar
Group Icon

You know, I have to laugh at how far you will take things. Alderson et al are building a winner? You think they are exciting and will be for many years to come? You have it WRONG....

Ike Davis, Lucas Duda, Kirk Nieuwenhuis, Daniel Murphy, Mike Pelfrey, Ruben Tejada, Josh Thole and David Wright were all drafted under Minaya. He also drafted Matt Harvey, Jeurys Familia, and Jenrry Mejia.

So explain to me how this great new front office has built the team that will thrill us for years to come? Seems to me they've done as close to zero as one can do....

+Quote Post
angy
post Apr 10 2012, 12:26 PM
Post #20

Superstar
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,147

Sorry you are annoyed the team is doing so well. Lets hope it continues, and believe in this team and the construction of a winner will be exciting for many years to come. Hope you join in the fun.

Do you really believe any Mets fan is annoyed with the team winning?
And kudos to you for your optimism but let's not degrade other posters who have been waiting a very long time for a winning team. And because we don't share your optimism doesn't make us any lesser of a fan. From your posts it sounds like many of us have been Mets fans for a much longer time than you. And if the Mets fail this year are you going to take your ball and go home or will you join the many dissapointed fans and post your unhappines. And yes I'm very happy and excited about their 4 game performance and I hope it continues.

+Quote Post
Batman Forever
post Apr 10 2012, 12:30 PM
Post #21

Rookie
Group Icon

QUOTE (angy @ Apr 10 2012, 12:26 PM) *
Do you really believe any Mets fan is annoyed with the team winning? I'll assume your reply is because of immaturity and not sarcasim. Or maybe a little of both.
And kudos to you for your optimism but let's not degrade other posters who have been waiting a very long time for a winning team.

Immaturity and sarcasm? I will leave those for you, I think you have excelled in those areas.

+Quote Post
Batman Forever
post Apr 10 2012, 12:34 PM
Post #22

Rookie
Group Icon

QUOTE (MeanBaller @ Apr 10 2012, 11:48 AM) *
I agree with you. The exhibition game is a far smaller issue than how to construct and manage a team's roster. And if Alderson et al objected to the game and couldn't talk his masters out of it, he certainly is not going to be able to influence them on far more important matters like personnel.

By the way, appropos the issue of player personnel issues, I notice that it is you who are the one who ignores inconvenient facts. You raised the issue of the Phillies as a model for the Mets and when I pointed out that the Phillies kept their aging shortstop with an expensive new contract whereas the new management team you are counting on to do a similar repair job in Flushing apparently let Reyes go for next to nothing even though he is a younger player coming off a batting title.

So either Alderson et al doesn't have the authority that you think he has or they aren't as smart as you think they are. By the way, how would you know he has authority, to borrow your arguing style. Unless you are an executive or have inside information, anything you offer is suppostion. At least I have clear evidence of the man admitting that he didn't have the pull to get something small done.

Phillies missed the playoffs what was it 22 of 23 years? And they turned it around with 5 in a row. And a WS title. Look at the prize, accept facts for what they are. If RAJ / EW can construct a winner, so can alderson plus his power team. That is all, no need to drill down to minutia and extrapolate like it is something different. Fact is fact. Phils did it, it can happen, mets are next. Enjoy it.

+Quote Post
MeanBaller
post Apr 10 2012, 02:52 PM
Post #23

Superstar
Group Icon

QUOTE (Batman Forever @ Apr 10 2012, 12:34 PM) *
Phillies missed the playoffs what was it 22 of 23 years? And they turned it around with 5 in a row. And a WS title. Look at the prize, accept facts for what they are. If RAJ / EW can construct a winner, so can alderson plus his power team. That is all, no need to drill down to minutia and extrapolate like it is something different. Fact is fact. Phils did it, it can happen, mets are next. Enjoy it.

How very sad.

+Quote Post
MeanBaller
post Apr 10 2012, 03:16 PM
Post #24

Superstar
Group Icon

QUOTE (angy @ Apr 10 2012, 12:26 PM) *
Do you really believe any Mets fan is annoyed with the team winning?
And kudos to you for your optimism but let's not degrade other posters who have been waiting a very long time for a winning team. And because we don't share your optimism doesn't make us any lesser of a fan. From your posts it sounds like many of us have been Mets fans for a much longer time than you. And if the Mets fail this year are you going to take your ball and go home or will you join the many dissapointed fans and post your unhappines. And yes I'm very happy and excited about their 4 game performance and I hope it continues.

You know, we just may be dealing with one of those guys who used to post around here and got mad and took their ball elsewhere when too many people came to see the Mets management for who and what they are and what it meant for future success (or the lack thereof).

Perhaps what we are dealing with is someone who finally saw the light, is angry about it and rather than give up the hope against hope mentality is taking his frustration out on the cleareyed guys who always had it right.

+Quote Post
Batman Forever
post Apr 10 2012, 05:21 PM
Post #25

Rookie
Group Icon

QUOTE (MeanBaller @ Apr 10 2012, 03:16 PM) *
You know, we just may be dealing with one of those guys who used to post around here and got mad and took their ball elsewhere when too many people came to see the Mets management for who and what they are and what it meant for future success (or the lack thereof).

Perhaps what we are dealing with is someone who finally saw the light, is angry about it and rather than give up the hope against hope mentality is taking his frustration out on the cleareyed guys who always had it right.

How very sad. Hope your anger and your outlook on life improve. A stopped clock is right twice a day. Wake up and you can improve your odds.

+Quote Post
Batman Forever
post Apr 10 2012, 05:48 PM
Post #26

Rookie
Group Icon

QUOTE (MeanBaller @ Apr 10 2012, 03:16 PM) *

Conspiracy theory or did you shake your Magic 8 Ball of negativity to come up with that one.

+Quote Post
angy
post Apr 10 2012, 10:48 PM
Post #27

Superstar
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,147

QUOTE (Batman Forever @ Apr 10 2012, 01:30 PM) *
Immaturity and sarcasm? I will leave those for you, I think you have excelled in those areas.

Thank You for the compliment. Excelling in anything is a major achievement. Enjoy your ice cream!

+Quote Post
Batman Forever
post Apr 11 2012, 07:34 AM
Post #28

Rookie
Group Icon

QUOTE (angy @ Apr 10 2012, 10:48 PM) *
Thank You for the compliment. Excelling in anything is a major achievement. Enjoy your ice cream!

So kind of you

+Quote Post
Metsfan
post Apr 11 2012, 11:20 AM
Post #29

Little Leaguer
Group Icon

Member No.: 8,510

Wow, the optimist/pessimist views seem to be the hot topic. While I enjoyed the 4 game win streak to start I'm still not ready to say this will be a winning ball club. Heck, at this point I'm just glad to have baseball back.

With low expectations this would be a good year to "shock the world" so to speak. Personally I'm taking this season one day at the time, I'm going to do my best not to get my hopes up or get let down too harshly either lol.

At this point, who knows what we're in for.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st December 2014 - 07:43 AM