Humber
Milner60
post Apr 21 2012, 09:59 PM
Post #1

Veteran
Group Icon

Group: Validated Members
Member No.: 294

I am really happy for the kid. Anyone who throws the perfect one deserves only kudos..especially after injuries slowed his career. As Met fans we got more evidence that whatever
ogods there are they ain't Met fans! Truly amazing! From Ryan and Bibby thru Seaver, Scott, Gooden, and Cone....the curse just grows!!

--------------------
user posted image
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
younghem
post Apr 22 2012, 03:03 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Mods
Member No.: 210

QUOTE (Milner60 @ Apr 21 2012, 09:59 PM) *
I am really haopy fir the kid. Any
one who throws the perfect one deserves only kudos..especially after injuries slowed his career.
Met fans we got more evidence that whatever gods there are they ain't Met fans! Truly amazing! From Ryan and Bobby thru Seaver, Scott, Goodeno, and Cone....the curse just grows!

It goes to show how long it can take pitching prospects to develop....

+Quote Post
Cactus
post Apr 22 2012, 11:23 PM
Post #3

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 159

he had tommy john surgery and took a long time to recover. i randomly watched him pitch in rochester and he was throwing 85 and getting bombed.

--------------------
'-|-'

- "Mr. Jeff Wilpon has decided that he’s going to learn how to run a baseball team and take over at the end of the year… Run for the hills, boys. I think probably all those baseball people will bail… Jeff sits there by himself like he’s King Tut waiting for his camel.” - Nelson Doubleday
- "In today's regulatory environment, it's virtually impossible to violate rules." - Bernard Madoff, 10/20/07
The Washington Post decided not to cover Ralph Nader's presidential campaign because he had no chance of winning. Nader's response: "Then why are you covering the Nationals?"
- Asked by the Post about the younger Wilpon's job performance, Fred Wilpon said: "Excellent. Everybody knows ...that."
- "The word 'autonomy' is sometimes misused." - Jeff Wilpon
- "Let’s give Jeff Wilpon the benefit of the doubt here for a moment. Let’s say he is not short-tempered. Tone deaf. A credit seeker. An accountability deflector. A micro-manager. A second-guesser. A less-than-deep thinker. And bad at self-awareness. Fine, he’s none of these things. But here is the problem: This is his perception in the industry." - Joel Sherman
- “Jeff is the problem with the organization, and he is never going to realize that. He cannot help himself. He has to be involved. He will never hire anyone who will not let him have major input. He will not hire anyone who does not run every personnel decision through him.” - Anonymous NL Executive
- "The only person with a worse reputation than Jeff Wilpon in the game is David Samson." - Anonymous AL executive
- "[Mets GM Omar Minaya] isn’t the General Manager. Jeff Wilpon is. Omar’s the one out there to take the heat.” - Peter Gammons
- [Jeff Wilpon's] role in management, according to one official who worked for him, "is to act as president and CEO of second-guessing."
- "I always want Mets fans on my juries," said one noted defense attorney friend, a rabid Yankees fan. "They love losers, even three-time losers like some of my clients. And if Mets fans believe anything the Mets front office says, I can convince them to acquit anybody." - Denis Hamill
- I got a call the other day. They noted I had been a long term season ticket holder and asked if I was interested. I immediately exclaimed "I'm so sorry for the Wilpon Family". He asked what I meant. I told the guy if he looked in my file, he'd see a note to call me after both Fred and Jeff dropped dead, and not a day before. - Meanballer

+Quote Post
Batman Forever
post Apr 23 2012, 01:34 PM
Post #4

Rookie
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,680

After being a top draft pick and a large bonus guy with the mets in 2005, humber had a lot of bumps in the road including TJ surgery, hit in the face with a line drive, and cut by the Twins, Royals and A's before clicking with the White Sox.

That is why teams gamble for lightning in a bottle on bonus babies who lost their way.

+Quote Post
MeanBaller
post Apr 23 2012, 01:54 PM
Post #5

Superstar
Group Icon

Member No.: 684

Anything can happen on any day in the game of baseball. Or over a couple of days. The season is a grind, as are careers. The long term perspective is what really counts, be it within a year or over the expanse of a career.

After all these years, Humber had an 11-10 record going into his perfecto (which really was not, since the 27th out was the opposite of Galaragga's - a clear walk not called as opposed to a clear out not called). He was nothing to write home about. 29 years old and 228 IP TOTAL. His one year of consequence was break-even ball on a just about break-even team, meaning he didn't elevate his team's performance.

While I am still amazed that the Mets have never had a no-no, we should not second guess giving up on Humber. One game doesn't make a career and no one would be crying about a guy going 9-9 after a trade.

+Quote Post
Cactus
post Apr 23 2012, 03:06 PM
Post #6

Admin
Group Icon

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle...bout-no-hitters

--------------------
'-|-'

- "Mr. Jeff Wilpon has decided that he’s going to learn how to run a baseball team and take over at the end of the year… Run for the hills, boys. I think probably all those baseball people will bail… Jeff sits there by himself like he’s King Tut waiting for his camel.” - Nelson Doubleday
- "In today's regulatory environment, it's virtually impossible to violate rules." - Bernard Madoff, 10/20/07
The Washington Post decided not to cover Ralph Nader's presidential campaign because he had no chance of winning. Nader's response: "Then why are you covering the Nationals?"
- Asked by the Post about the younger Wilpon's job performance, Fred Wilpon said: "Excellent. Everybody knows ...that."
- "Let’s give Jeff Wilpon the benefit of the doubt here for a moment. Let’s say he is not short-tempered. Tone deaf. A credit seeker. An accountability deflector. A micro-manager. A second-guesser. A less-than-deep thinker. And bad at self-awareness. Fine, he’s none of these things. But here is the problem: This is his perception in the industry." - Joel Sherman
- “Jeff is the problem with the organization, and he is never going to realize that. He cannot help himself. He has to be involved. He will never hire anyone who will not let him have major input. He will not hire anyone who does not run every personnel decision through him.” - Anonymous NL Executive
- "The only person with a worse reputation than Jeff Wilpon in the game is David Samson." - Anonymous AL executive
- "[Mets GM Omar Minaya] isn’t the General Manager. Jeff Wilpon is. Omar’s the one out there to take the heat.” - Peter Gammons
- [Jeff Wilpon's] role in management, according to one official who worked for him, "is to act as president and CEO of second-guessing."
- "I always want Mets fans on my juries," said one noted defense attorney friend, a rabid Yankees fan. "They love losers, even three-time losers like some of my clients. And if Mets fans believe anything the Mets front office says, I can convince them to acquit anybody." - Denis Hamill
- I got a call the other day. They noted I had been a long term season ticket holder and asked if I was interested. I immediately exclaimed "I'm so sorry for the Wilpon Family". He asked what I meant. I told the guy if he looked in my file, he'd see a note to call me after both Fred and Jeff dropped dead, and not a day before. - Meanballer

+Quote Post
Lostmet
post Apr 23 2012, 03:28 PM
Post #7

Veteran
Group Icon

Member No.: 604

I am happy for him. Seems like a nice guy.

+Quote Post
Cactus
post Apr 24 2012, 08:18 AM
Post #8

Admin
Group Icon

here is the list

http://deadspin.com/the-daily-screencap/

--------------------
'-|-'

+Quote Post
JerseyScott
post Apr 26 2012, 07:14 AM
Post #9

Superstar
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,221

Nice for Humber, but as met fans I am positive we will not regret trading him for Johan.

--------------------
"Punk is whatever we made it to be"

+Quote Post
Milner60
post Apr 26 2012, 10:19 AM
Post #10

Veteran
Group Icon

QUOTE (JerseyScott @ Apr 26 2012, 09:14 AM) *
Nice for Humber, but as met fans I am positive we will not regret trading him for Johan.

No regrets whatsoever but that trade so epitomizes Met luck. We trade 4 prospects for him who never amount to anything for the Twins, yet until last year Minnesota was always in post-season play without Johan while Mets have never been there. Now Humber throws a perfect game...you gotta laugh. I do feel for Johan since today's baseball economy(yes, I know, still his choice) led him to be dealt from a well managed and constructed team that continued to fare well after his departure and join an organization that has no clue where to begin. He forced the hand and lost badly.

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
MeanBaller
post Apr 27 2012, 05:37 PM
Post #11

Superstar
Group Icon

QUOTE (Milner60 @ Apr 26 2012, 11:19 AM) *
No regrets whatsoever but that trade so epitomizes Met luck. We trade 4 prospects for him who never amount to anything for the Twins, yet until last year Minnesota was always in post-season play without Johan while Mets have never been there. Now Humber throws a perfect game...you gotta laugh. I do feel for Johan since today's baseball economy(yes, I know, still his choice) led him to be dealt from a well managed and constructed team that continued to fare well after his departure and join an organization that has no clue where to begin. He forced the hand and lost badly.

The last guy I feel for in this deal is Johan. He's getting tons of money. Beyond that, he KNEW what kind of half baked organization he was joining and APPROVED of the deal in advance. Not very different that ARod and Texas. Both guys had to know they were going to crappy organizations run by fools, but both lusted for the dollars. The people who are suffering are Mets fans because he's swallowing almost 30% of the total team payroll and the Wilpon$ have a salary cap that is already lower than the franchise circumstances permit it to be. The result is you end up with crap and onl; delusional hopes, if any.

+Quote Post
Milner60
post Apr 27 2012, 06:26 PM
Post #12

Veteran
Group Icon

QUOTE (MeanBaller @ Apr 27 2012, 07:37 PM) *
The last guy I feel for in this deal is Johan. He's getting tons of money. Beyond that, he KNEW what kind of half baked organization he was joining and APPROVED of the deal in advance. Not very different that ARod and Texas. Both guys had to know they were going to crappy organizations run by fools, but both lusted for the dollars. The people who are suffering are Mets fans because he's swallowing almost 30% of the total team payroll and the Wilpon$ have a salary cap that is already lower than the franchise circumstances permit it to be. The result is you end up with crap and onl; delusional hopes, if any.

Meanie, that's what I wrote. Santana forced that hand and lost badly.

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
MeanBaller
post Apr 30 2012, 09:21 AM
Post #13

Superstar
Group Icon

QUOTE (Milner60 @ Apr 27 2012, 06:26 PM) *
Meanie, that's what I wrote. Santana forced that hand and lost badly.

The funny thing is that just about all of the fancy free agents that the Mets have signed since 2002 probably regret every coming to Flushing with the exception of Pedro (who having won his ring was looking for his last multi year deal and wanted someone who would over-reach). Beltran understood it the issues of signing with the Mets since he was willing to take less if he went to the Yankees. But you have to believe that he regretted spending the last productive hunk of his career with the Wilpons. That said, it's a really small sample for obvious reasons..............

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2014 - 03:05 AM