beef286
post Jun 9 2007, 04:55 PM
Post #571

Superstar
Group Icon

Group: Validated Members
Member No.: 439

QUOTE(Metsfan980 @ Jun 9 2007, 12:42 PM) [snapback]363970[/snapback]

I really think he is LA bound this season. I can't see them sticking with Ethier/Kemp (who they just recalled this morning) all season long. And they need a power bat in that lineup. Besides that, nobody else really makes sense... unless the Astros believe that they can still win it this year...

kemp could be that bat, he mashed last year when the dodgers actually let him play ...

--------------------
The New York Mets: "Keepin it Gangsta since 2008"
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
imdave0182
post Jul 2 2008, 03:02 PM
Post #572

Hall of Famer
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 347

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/56071

"While it's early on in the trade deadline season, there are no teams showing interest yet in Reds power hitting left fielder Adam Dunn. Despite Dunn's strong OPS and home run totals, no AL teams currently have a need for him as a DH and NL clubs are likely turned off by his defense."

+Quote Post
younghem
post Jul 3 2008, 12:28 PM
Post #573

Group Icon

Group: Mods
Member No.: 210

He's no Henry Ewart, but the Mets could use him !

(inside OOTP joke.) smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cactus
post Jul 3 2008, 02:08 PM
Post #574

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 159

the mets combined ops out of left field this year is something like .003, the mets should be all over adam dunn.

--------------------
'-|-'

- "Mr. Jeff Wilpon has decided that he’s going to learn how to run a baseball team and take over at the end of the year… Run for the hills, boys. I think probably all those baseball people will bail… Jeff sits there by himself like he’s King Tut waiting for his camel.” - Nelson Doubleday
- "In today's regulatory environment, it's virtually impossible to violate rules." - Bernard Madoff, 10/20/07
The Washington Post decided not to cover Ralph Nader's presidential campaign because he had no chance of winning. Nader's response: "Then why are you covering the Nationals?"
- Asked by the Post about the younger Wilpon's job performance, Fred Wilpon said: "Excellent. Everybody knows ...that."
- "The word 'autonomy' is sometimes misused." - Jeff Wilpon
- "Let’s give Jeff Wilpon the benefit of the doubt here for a moment. Let’s say he is not short-tempered. Tone deaf. A credit seeker. An accountability deflector. A micro-manager. A second-guesser. A less-than-deep thinker. And bad at self-awareness. Fine, he’s none of these things. But here is the problem: This is his perception in the industry." - Joel Sherman
- “Jeff is the problem with the organization, and he is never going to realize that. He cannot help himself. He has to be involved. He will never hire anyone who will not let him have major input. He will not hire anyone who does not run every personnel decision through him.” - Anonymous NL Executive
- "The only person with a worse reputation than Jeff Wilpon in the game is David Samson." - Anonymous AL executive
- "[Mets GM Omar Minaya] isn’t the General Manager. Jeff Wilpon is. Omar’s the one out there to take the heat.” - Peter Gammons
- [Jeff Wilpon's] role in management, according to one official who worked for him, "is to act as president and CEO of second-guessing."
- "I always want Mets fans on my juries," said one noted defense attorney friend, a rabid Yankees fan. "They love losers, even three-time losers like some of my clients. And if Mets fans believe anything the Mets front office says, I can convince them to acquit anybody." - Denis Hamill
- I got a call the other day. They noted I had been a long term season ticket holder and asked if I was interested. I immediately exclaimed "I'm so sorry for the Wilpon Family". He asked what I meant. I told the guy if he looked in my file, he'd see a note to call me after both Fred and Jeff dropped dead, and not a day before. - Meanballer

+Quote Post
metscat
post Jul 3 2008, 02:47 PM
Post #575

Superstar
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,121

QUOTE (Cactus @ Jul 3 2008, 02:08 PM) *
the mets combined ops out of left field this year is something like .003, the mets should be all over adam dunn.

he would be a great addition.

--------------------
www.fmft.net/Kool-AidMan.jpg

+Quote Post
metscat
post Jul 7 2008, 03:49 PM
Post #576

Superstar
Group Icon

I would like to thank Dave for bumping this thread up last week, as we no longer have to see the game threads from last September on the top of the archive forum. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
imdave0182
post Jul 8 2008, 09:30 AM
Post #577

Hall of Famer
Group Icon

Member No.: 347

I found it funny that most of baseball seems to agree with metsextra.

+Quote Post
metscat
post Jul 8 2008, 12:05 PM
Post #578

Superstar
Group Icon

QUOTE (imdave0182 @ Jul 8 2008, 10:30 AM) *
I found it funny that most of baseball seems to agree with metsextra.

laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
jfsportz
post Jul 18 2008, 03:07 PM
Post #579

Superstar
Group Icon

Member No.: 934

This was the most frustrating topic ever to read.

"Post stats if you want to argue."
"Ok, try Dunn's 1.100 OPS"
"Dunn isn't a producer, he bats .215. Miguel Tejada, now he's a producer, he gets an RBI almost every game."
"Thats because he has people to drive in, Dunn doesn't."
*Ignores post, one week goes by*
"Wow Dunn is HORRIBLE!"

+Quote Post
metsfan247
post Jul 18 2008, 05:19 PM
Post #580

Rookie
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,003

The bottom line is Adam Dunn does exactly what you expect of him he strikes out a lot but he also hits 40 Home Runs a year and drives in a 100 runs per year I'd take him any day of the week, I think he's one of the most underrated players in baseball. Not to mention the guys on pace to have close to 600 home runs by the end of his career.

He's hit 238 Homeruns in his last 7 seasons which is an average of 34 HR a year

in 2001 he hit 19 HR in just 66 games
in 2002 he must of had an off year because he hit just 27 HR in 158 games
in 2003 he hit 27 HR in 116 games
in 2004 he hit 46 HR in 161 games
in 2005 he hit 40 HR in 160 games
in 2006 he hit 40 HR in 160 games
in 2007 he hit 40 HR in 158 games
and up to date in 2008 he's hit 27 HR and we've just got back from all star break so he will most likely hit 40 or more HR's

If he continued at this pace of 40 HR's a year for the next 10 years and he's 28 now he would have around 600 HR's.

And the Record for being struck out the most times in a career is held by Reggie Jackson with 2,597. Is he a bad player ?

STRIKEOUTS SO
1 Reggie Jackson 2597
2 Sammy Sosa 2194
3 Andres Galarraga 2003
4 Jose Canseco 1942
5 Willie Stargell 1936
6 Mike Schmidt 1883
7 Fred McGriff 1882
8 Tony Perez 1867
9 Dave Kingman 1816
10 Jim Thome 1765
11 Bobby Bonds 1757
12 Dale Murphy 1748
13 Lou Brock 1730
14 Mickey Mantle 1710
15 Harmon Killebrew 1699
16 Chili Davis 1698
17 Dwight Evans 1697
18 Rickey Henderson 1694
19 Dave Winfield 1686
20 Gary Gaetti 1602
21 Mark McGwire 1596
22 Lee May 1570
23 Craig Biggio 1560
24 Jeff Bagwell 1558
25 Dick Allen 1556
T26 Ray Lankford 1550
T26 Willie McCovey 1550
28 Dave Parker 1537
29 Frank Robinson 1532
30 Lance Parrish 1527
T31 Willie Mays 1526
T31 Devon White 1526
33 Reggie Sanders 1521
34 Eddie Murray 1516
T35 Rick Monday 1513
T35 Greg Vaughn 1513
37 Andre Dawson 1509

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cactus
post Jul 19 2008, 06:00 PM
Post #581

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 159

i dont get what the big deal is. he's got a career 380 obp and 520 slg, thats a 900 ops. he just trades a bunch of popups and groundouts for strikeouts, and trades a bunch of singles for walks.

--------------------
'-|-'

- "Mr. Jeff Wilpon has decided that he’s going to learn how to run a baseball team and take over at the end of the year… Run for the hills, boys. I think probably all those baseball people will bail… Jeff sits there by himself like he’s King Tut waiting for his camel.” - Nelson Doubleday
- "In today's regulatory environment, it's virtually impossible to violate rules." - Bernard Madoff, 10/20/07
The Washington Post decided not to cover Ralph Nader's presidential campaign because he had no chance of winning. Nader's response: "Then why are you covering the Nationals?"
- Asked by the Post about the younger Wilpon's job performance, Fred Wilpon said: "Excellent. Everybody knows ...that."
- "The word 'autonomy' is sometimes misused." - Jeff Wilpon
- "Let’s give Jeff Wilpon the benefit of the doubt here for a moment. Let’s say he is not short-tempered. Tone deaf. A credit seeker. An accountability deflector. A micro-manager. A second-guesser. A less-than-deep thinker. And bad at self-awareness. Fine, he’s none of these things. But here is the problem: This is his perception in the industry." - Joel Sherman
- “Jeff is the problem with the organization, and he is never going to realize that. He cannot help himself. He has to be involved. He will never hire anyone who will not let him have major input. He will not hire anyone who does not run every personnel decision through him.” - Anonymous NL Executive
- "The only person with a worse reputation than Jeff Wilpon in the game is David Samson." - Anonymous AL executive
- "[Mets GM Omar Minaya] isn’t the General Manager. Jeff Wilpon is. Omar’s the one out there to take the heat.” - Peter Gammons
- [Jeff Wilpon's] role in management, according to one official who worked for him, "is to act as president and CEO of second-guessing."
- "I always want Mets fans on my juries," said one noted defense attorney friend, a rabid Yankees fan. "They love losers, even three-time losers like some of my clients. And if Mets fans believe anything the Mets front office says, I can convince them to acquit anybody." - Denis Hamill
- I got a call the other day. They noted I had been a long term season ticket holder and asked if I was interested. I immediately exclaimed "I'm so sorry for the Wilpon Family". He asked what I meant. I told the guy if he looked in my file, he'd see a note to call me after both Fred and Jeff dropped dead, and not a day before. - Meanballer

+Quote Post
younghem
post Jul 30 2008, 09:24 AM
Post #582

Group Icon

Group: Mods
Member No.: 210

Looking at that list, its pretty incredible that Mays had more than a 1000 fewer strikeouts than Reggie Jackson and finished with 660 homeruns.

+Quote Post
BruceWayne
post Aug 29 2008, 03:31 PM
Post #583

Hall of Famer
Group Icon

Member No.: 140

QUOTE (younghem @ Jul 30 2008, 10:24 AM) *
Looking at that list, its pretty incredible that Mays had more than a 1000 fewer strikeouts than Reggie Jackson and finished with 660 homeruns.

Which is what makes Mayes the greatest living ballplayer, and maybe the best to ever play the game.

--------------------
Every day you may make progress. Every step may be fruitful. Yet there will stretch out before you an ever-lengthening, ever-ascending, ever-improving path. You know you will never get to the end of the journey. But this, so far from discouraging, only adds to the joy and glory of the climb.
Sir Winston Churchill

I hope our wisdom will grow with our power, and teach us, that the less we use our power the greater it will be.
Thomas Jefferson

To be prepared for war is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.
George Washington

May our country be always successful, but whether successful or otherwise, always right.
John Quincy Adams

Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?
Abraham Lincoln

To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.
Theodore roosevelt

+Quote Post
jfsportz
post Sep 1 2008, 08:53 PM
Post #584

Superstar
Group Icon

Member No.: 934

QUOTE (BruceWayne @ Aug 29 2008, 03:31 PM) *
Which is what makes Mayes the greatest living ballplayer, and maybe the best to ever play the game.

Eh, Barry Bonds does only have like 13 more strikeouts in 1000 less at bats.

+Quote Post
ils4O1
post Sep 1 2008, 09:36 PM
Post #585

Hall of Famer
Group Icon

Member No.: 281

QUOTE (BruceWayne @ Aug 29 2008, 04:31 PM) *

Bonds is the greatest living ballplayer.

+Quote Post
Lostmet
post Sep 2 2008, 09:19 AM
Post #586

Veteran
Group Icon

Member No.: 604

I'd go with Willie as the best any day.

+Quote Post
metscat
post Sep 2 2008, 11:58 AM
Post #587

Superstar
Group Icon

QUOTE (Lostmet @ Sep 2 2008, 09:19 AM) *
I'd go with Willie as the best any day.

I have to believe that Bonds without steroids would not have come close to his godfather. JMO.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ils4O1
post Sep 2 2008, 03:12 PM
Post #588

Hall of Famer
Group Icon

Member No.: 281

QUOTE (metscat @ Sep 2 2008, 11:58 AM) *
I have to believe that Bonds without steroids would not have come close to his godfather. JMO.

Yeah, but he did do steroids. They can keep him out of the Hall, they can vilify him, but he carried a mediocre franchise into contention year after year, and all those Giants' wins still count.

+Quote Post
metscat
post Sep 9 2008, 02:49 PM
Post #589

Superstar
Group Icon

QUOTE (ils4O1 @ Sep 2 2008, 04:12 PM) *
Yeah, but he did do steroids. They can keep him out of the Hall, they can vilify him, but he carried a mediocre franchise into contention year after year, and all those Giants' wins still count.

Just saw this, and totally agree. MLB allowed it to happen, steroids changed the game. Justthinking "what if". Can you imagine what Mays would have accomplished with the same stuff his lil godchild was on?

--------------------

+Quote Post
B P
post Sep 9 2008, 10:26 PM
Post #590

Legend
Group Icon

Member No.: 131

QUOTE (metscat @ Sep 9 2008, 02:49 PM) *
Just saw this, and totally agree. MLB allowed it to happen, steroids changed the game. Justthinking "what if". Can you imagine what Mays would have accomplished with the same stuff his lil godchild was on?

not too much more i'd think because you have to remember, his peers would have definitely been on it as well.

--------------------

The Best of the Best At What They Do

Billy Joel ~ And remember, don't take any **** from anyone!

Check out my blog: http://metstats.wordpress.com
Check out my Amazon store for books and video and other items: www.amazon.com/shops/mr_pavlov

+Quote Post
metzol
post Sep 23 2009, 04:35 PM
Post #591

Legend
Group Icon

Member No.: 370

So do you think we still have a shot at getting Dunn?

--------------------

+Quote Post

20 Pages V  « < 18 19 20
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st October 2014 - 11:58 AM